Page 9 of 100 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Nomthe $7900 has a tennon table.

Still seems like a ton of $$ considering.

I get all in a frenzy thinking when will the next one in decent shape come along. On the other hand I get emails daily from euro websites and I see t23’s Bourels “I know that’s not how you spell it, kolle and a few others such as the one in the above picture listed all the time for what I think is short money.

Sure by the time I get it there praying everything is as should be, hook it up to a inverter “I know nothing about” it seems like $7900 is kinda spot on even though I think it should be more like $5K

It will be really important to me that whatever I get for a shaper with a tenon table that the table can get right up against the spindle for the most part.

Bauerle. IMO, the SMF/2 is probably one of the best built shapers ever. Wish mine had the sliding table option, but just finding one here is almost impossible. IMG_20180523_151312_341.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    It will be really important to me that whatever I get for a shaper with a tenon table that the table can get right up against the spindle for the most part.
    If you can find a gomad, they are awesome.

20171016_210101-2016x1512.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Personally, I prefer to tenon and cope on a single end tenoner vs. a shaper.

Wow on the Bauerle..

Another machine I’d consider importing if I could get so motivated.

I’m sure you have seen the old SCMI L Invincible shaper on Craigslist. I’m tempted by it but I know nothing of them other than the assumption that if they are at least as well built “and probably more so” as the 80’s t130 we have at work it must be a very nice machine in good working order.

Looks like it can be had for what I call short money. No tenon table but throw one of those spindles on it Joe put on his t23 some Aigner fences and you would have one sweet machine. Same with the Bauerle..

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Personally, I prefer to tenon and cope on a single end tenoner vs. a shaper.
    I agree. And they don't seem to be expensive now.

Wow on the Bauerle..

Another machine I’d consider importing if I could get so motivated.

I’m sure you have seen the old SCMI L Invincible shaper on Craigslist. I’m tempted by it but I know nothing of them other than the assumption that if they are at least as well built “and probably more so” as the 80’s t130 we have at work it must be a very nice machine in good working order.

Looks like it can be had for what I call short money. No tenon table but throw one of those spindles on it Joe put on his t23 some Aigner fences and you would have one sweet machine. Same with the Bauerle..
    I have a 1969 T160, power tilt, power rise and fall, oil pump lube system for bearings (according to SCM they never made such a thing....) yes I have been considering having that other t160 shipped to me. They are tanks, great, great shapers.

The bauerle runs up to 12k rpm and parts are still available.

The old iron US and Brit push pull single end tenoners are solid machines but not very versatile or easy to change from one profile to another. They are from an era when products were made in mass quantities. Today it is all about being effective at one off and small batches.
    Tooling is more expensive but sliding table shapers will run circles around the old iron tenoners. If you want to step up from that look at 80s and 90s era single end tenoners from Europe. Panhans, Okoma Kolle etc. and a step up from that are modern day CNC tenoners from Europe.
    For home hobby use or small pro shops a sliding table shaper is versatile and effective.
    76575774-264E-46AA-BA54-B0151475B553.jpg
    AB020770-6B56-405B-AD4B-B1BF593F3D1D.jpg
    952D76EA-9A7B-4207-AB36-F699DB5BB0DF.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    The old iron US and Brit push pull single end tenoners are solid machines but not very versatile or easy to change from one profile to another. They are from an era when products were made in mass quantities. Today it is all about being effective at one off and small batches.
    Tooling is more expensive but sliding table shapers will run circles around the old iron tenoners. If you want to step up from that look at 80s and 90s era single end tenoners from Europe. Panhans, Okoma Kolle etc. and a step up from that are modern day CNC tenoners from Europe.
    For home hobby use or small pro shops a sliding table shaper is versatile and effective.
    76575774-264E-46AA-BA54-B0151475B553.jpg
    AB020770-6B56-405B-AD4B-B1BF593F3D1D.jpg
    952D76EA-9A7B-4207-AB36-F699DB5BB0DF.jpg
    Run circles?

It doesn't take much time to swap out cope discs on my 532's. Keep a few around loaded with different profiles.

I guess if you don't have any room for anything a shaper can be a one trick pony, but I still prefer working large pieces (12 to 24" wide) on my old dinosaur tenoners.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    and a step up from that are modern day CNC tenoners from Europe.

I want a Friulmac in the worst way for coping door rails. Too bad they eat up an acre of floor space and I don't have the throughput to justify such beasty.

I guess if you don't have any room for anything a shaper can be a one trick pony,

Does anyone really have room to spare?

I have zero room to spare.

You guys will laugh but all these machines are going in my 1000sq ft basement shop. I suppose if I really wanted I could rent space in the building I work work but I much prefer to just loaf down stairs to my shop.

I’ll try and dig up a phot of the door these two machines will have to fit through.

Alll said I’m looking at the t75, a t23 orbt12 with tenon table. My s500p a Felder f700z, probably my t54 and then the matching planer to replace my Felder j/p combo as I own the t54 at this point, a slot mortiser that I’ll replave with a Myles and Wysong or Macao and a drill press. Oh and a rather extensive collection of exotic lumber and a 28x109 6” thick Roubo. You’d be surprised but I have plenty of room for one guy to build one off projects in there, even a kitchen or two at this point. No room for a widebelt but I kinda loath sanders anyway.

Nomthe $7900 has a tennon table.

Still seems like a ton of $$ considering.

I get all in a frenzy thinking when will the next one in decent shape come along. On the other hand I get emails daily from euro websites and I see t23’s Bourels “I know that’s not how you spell it, kolle and a few others such as the one in the above picture listed all the time for what I think is short money.

Sure by the time I get it there praying everything is as should be, hook it up to a inverter “I know nothing about” it seems like $7900 is kinda spot on even though I think it should be more like $5K

Not once you set the t75 up. 16'x16' square.

Run circles?

It doesn't take much time to swap out cope discs on my 532's. Keep a few around loaded with different profiles.

I guess if you don't have any room for anything a shaper can be a one trick pony, but I still prefer working large pieces (12 to 24" wide) on my old dinosaur tenoners.
    Nope, no room for big dinosaurs in my small shop.
    Curious how you would set the 532s up for profiled angled double tenons and slots and how long to change between slot and tenon. And the finger joints of the curve segments?

86BEC915-7E20-42EE-B972-F174A7810EF9.jpg

248F744F-73A6-481C-8940-DDFD9EA92710.jpg
    01D57E11-5010-43BB-8603-08F8B018ACB7.jpg