Page 7 of 100 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Martin, we run 14 and 12” blades at the mid speed. About 4000 rpm I think. Made the mistake of running the 20” at that speed once. Deafening!

being on cabinet saws all the time it was one speed. On the new saw now there are choices. Are the choices made only on blade size or more to it type of blade and materials you are cutting? different speed for melmine say than ripping solid with a low tooth count blade etc? This saw will take 12, 14 and 16 with 14" recommended in the manual.

Warren, I would suspect that this is more a matter of adjusting the tip speed of the blade so you have generally the same tip speed regardless of the blade size you are using, both for the cut and for safety.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well???.......... Drumming fingers on table......

Still gotta pick it up but it’s mine..

Brought home the fence and all the loose bits.

Now i gotta get the sand blaster setup with the proper media for cast iron and aluminum. I have no idea but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

Then I gotta start tearing the the thing apart and praying I can not only get it back together but that in the Ned it works o my expectations.

I am excited, only problem is I found a t23 I would also like and can’t afford both at the moment. Praying the t23 is there still in a couple months but I doubt it.

DC745B1D-01AF-4696-811F-F029005B5269.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Well???.......... Drumming fingers on table......

Just clean it up and use it. Screw sandblasting, way more work/mess than needed.

Blog Entries
    Cool! Good luck with the saw, post many pictures as you progress.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Just clean it up and use it. Screw sandblasting, way more work/mess than needed.
    Darcy sometimes some guys take a little bit of pride with there refurbishing of equipment. I’m sure you’ve taking a part one or two machines that you have Pride in. Not everybody is just flipping machines for $.

Patrick, keep your head up. Enjoy your new baby. You Do you have an absolutely great saw. And I love your pride. Make her your own!

I’m sure if you need the any part here or there, Darcy might be able to help you out. Since I love your passion, keep the thread going, maybe I’ll be able to help you out too. I don’t mind doing pro bono small jobs.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 11-17-2018 at 12:26 AM.

That is one approach. Tbh as busy as I am probably the one I should be taking.

I will do my best. Often I don’t take pictures of my work simply because I’m to busy working and just plain forget. I think this one is worth slowing down and documenting. I’ll probably need the photos later to put it back together. The photos I’ll probably also help others help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Cool! Good luck with the saw, post many pictures as you progress.

Matt,

Do you own the above machine or have you also restored a machine or two in your time?

You hit the nail on the head and not to suggested that one person takes pride and another does not. I know that was not what you were suggesting, I just want to make that clear as to not insult anyone.

I get lots of flack from my peers within the trade regarding my love of machinery and tools. I think there are two types and or two trains of thought. One being “it’s the craftsman not tool” and I agree as I have done some of my nicest work with the crap tools in poor conditions. The same people that suggest the above say “this doesn’t matter and that doesn’t matter your to picky”. Now now offense to anyone but this is normally the guy that’s ok with a pocket screw holding his work together, and will say if you can’t see it when everything is done what’s the difference. This same guy will often except less than perfect work as most times they just dont have what it really takes to execute perfection.

Now I have a bench mate whom is a great cabinet maker “like great”. We will bring a brand new machine into the shop say a Scmi timesaver, Martin jointer, or 630 class Scmi 24” planer and the first thing he wants to do is put a drink down on a cast table and or write on the machine or scratch it up so he no longer has to baby it. When my boss and I look as him like “NO” take care of this or else he immediately goes into it’s just a machine rant it’s supposed to get beat up.

Again what’s my point. My point is I really don’t think he wants to ruin the machine. But he is the first guy to just accept a machine when it losses its tollerances and is not working properly. He just assume find a work around with his work than figure out how to fix the machine. The above I think is a good example of a person that would think why spend all the time making a tool work perfect and look pretty as both are not needed to produce good work.

I am a custom cabinet maker by trade and also shop manager at this point. Just building cabinetry as I do is a huge compromise to my moral integrity as a craftsman. It pays the bills and at least for me pays them well. The best part or maybe most valuable part is my boss is a gem and I’d nearly work for him for free if I could. Doing what I do is better than doing something you hate everyday and I for the most part enjoy it. It however does not allow me to take the ABSOLUTE pride that is built into my moral code as a builder/craftsman/artist into account really ever. I have to continually call things good enough and continue to get things out of the shop and into the spray booth. This allows me the $$ to realize my passions on my own time and execute such all the while I get paid to build and learn I guess all be it a different skill set generally than where my interest really are. There is still some overlap of skill set and joy vrs just the starightnup druggery I found in finish carpentry, general carpentry and site work. There is way to much good enough attitude in that arena for me to handle on a daily basis.

I’ll be building a number of passage doors for my house this winter. I think I posted on it. I’ll build them double integral tenon yada yada when I know I could easily make a door near the same quality with a domino xl and a couple stacked slot cutters.My feeling is if that the case I’m kinda not interested in making them and should just purchase the dam things and build something I will enjoy building and take some pride in. When I do have time to do my own work I want a challenge and something to be proud of when I’m done that for once I know I slowed all the way down on, took the time to attend to every detail and threw every screw up intothe scrap bin every time a piece was not perfect and didn’t just make it work or say nobody will ever know but me.

I’m scared to embark on the full restoration of the machine above as I know it’s going to become a major chore. I do however know when it’s all done and if I can get the machine running perfect I’ll be as excited as if I had purchased the brand new $75K T75. Further every time I use it it will put a smile on my face and inspire me to build beautiful beautiful work with it everytime I turn it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    Darcy sometimes some guys take a little bit of pride with there refurbishing of equipment. I’m sure you’ve taking a part one or two machines that you have Pride in. Not everybody is just flipping machines for $.

Patrick, keep your head up. Enjoy your new baby. You Do you have an absolutely great saw. And I love your pride. Make her your own!

I’m sure if you need the any part here or there, Darcy might be able to help you out. Since I love your passion, keep the thread going, maybe I’ll be able to help you out too. I don’t mind doing pro bono small jobs.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-17-2018 at 6:42 AM.

In light of the conversation started above....

I found this goodling about looking to find the best paint suited toward machinery restoration. I have access to a fun time finisher as we have one on staff. He however is a cabinet painter and really only knows conversion varnish as it’s his preferred finish. He is capable of using other finishes but may or may not know as much about them as anyone else.

Point is I’m not gonna be happy with just rattle can rustoleum or the like nor am I gonna be happy with letting another person do the paint work as I also know how to spray and in my experience people are just never as meticulous as you want them to be.

I still don’t know what paint I’ll use but I’m leaning toward the highly toxic two part aircraft type enamel paints that you had better know what you are doing to use or you might get cancer and or just may never dry if you don’t mix catalyst and base properly.

Some good insight from the gentleman linked bellow. Plus I like his persnickety attitude toward perfectionism and knowing what one is doing. Per his suggestions I should not be doing what I’m about to do lol...

Thank god this is a table saw and not a machinist lathe.

https://www.csparks.com/Restoring/index.xhtml

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post

I will ignore part of you drabble.

That saw is pretty clean and in pretty good shape.

Paint can easily be fixed by doing spot repairs.

Taking it completely apart and blasting it will lead to a year long project for someone doing this for fun (or maybe what, 2 almost 3 years)

I would clean it, lube it, adjust it, then go from there.

No sense mindlessly tearing it all apart just for the sake of it.

Darcy,

Part of me does tend to agree.

What I really care about is that the sliding table be setup perfectly to the cast table. That both tables be perfectly flat and free of twist. If not they are being re ground. That the blade is actually hits 90% and 45% with precision accuracy in a repeatable manner. That all fence scales are accurate and setup so. That the rise, fall and tilt mechanism work effortlessly and that every bearing on the machine has zero wear or play. That the machine run as smooth as a top wibration free. I’m not much for telltale noises that indicate something wrong or soon to be. And yes I guess I do care about cosmetics it’s just who I am. On the other hand I’m a busy guy that works 60 plus hours a week to afford the things he wants and still be able to eat. I also have a dog that want me to go walk him RIGHT NOW! Not the same commitment as a kid but it does desert some of my free time..

I also care that I just get all this straightened away before I put the machine into service as I will not have the desire later to make such repairs and will just curse myself for buying a old lead weight.

I have a fully functioning shop at home along with a fully functioning shop at work with a t73 Martin slider soon to be setup. So you know this machine really is a luxury for me. We will see where my ambition lands me when I get the machine to my place of employment where I have the room to really get into it and see what I think.

I will ignore part of you drabble.

That saw is pretty clean and in pretty good shape.

Paint can easily be fixed by doing spot repairs.

Taking it completely apart and blasting it will lead to a year long project for someone doing this for fun (or maybe what, 2 almost 3 years)

I would clean it, lube it, adjust it, then go from there.

No sense mindlessly tearing it all apart just for the sake of it.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-17-2018 at 8:49 AM.