Thread: how to set up many boards repeatedly for finishing

how to set up many boards repeatedly for finishing

I need to put a finish on hundreds of boards (28"x4"x.5") and will have to do it on a monthly basis.

I was thinking of taking 2ft x 2ft pieces of thin plywood and using many thin through it so that the boards that need to be finished could sit on the points of the nails.

Before I try something like this, does anyone know of a better solution?

I am going to start with using a brush, but hope to use a spray gun in the near future.

I am doing this in my basement, so the amount of room is somewhat of a limitation.

thank you,
    DW
    DW

what kind of finish?

I don't know yet, but ideally something that is water based (low odor since it is in the basement) and sprayable. Polycrylic?
    DW

Seen one side or both sides? Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I'm going to assume seen both sides. Lean a batch of them them at an angle against a wall or similar vertical surface. Coat one side and the top end grain and allow it to just touch dry. Turn them around end for end and coat the other side, edges and the uncoated end. Allow to dry for sanding and continue the process until the desired finish is achieved. Do yourself a favour and get set up with a spray gun and ventilation as soon as possible. They will dry quicker in a this angled position than if they were laid flat.

Be prepared to learn how to apply without getting runs. This is not difficult to do. You just need to avoid distractions on the job, watch what you are doing closely and control your overlaps.

Plan your batch size around what you can fit in your shop. After your first batch is done you will know the time it takes so use that to plan your work schedule to meet your targets. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Would a small hole in one end matter? I was thinking about hanging them for spraying with small eyehooks, on something like a shower curtain rod (piece of pipe), and slide them close together for drying after being sprayed individually.

When you get to the point where you are spraying and need a spray booth you might get some tips from this series of videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7JQT7kffNg He also did a series of videos on spraying which he refers to in this video.

I needed to spray baseboard and door casing for a 1500 square foot house. The drying setup consisted of 2x4s four feet in length. On the bottom of each end I attached a 16 inch 2x4 to form a capital letter “I.” I then attached two small 2x4 blocks to double up the 16” piece. i made about a couple of dozen. This allowed me to set two parallel on the floor and stack rows of trim across. When that was done I stacked two more “I” frames on top and continued the process. In the end I sprayed all the trim outside and dried it in a small living room. It is very space efficient. You could do the same and get by with using smaller material. I only painted one side but it would have been easy to come back and paint other side the next day. I actually used them to paint all the doors in the house too. If you want I can send a picture later, they stored are in the attic.