Thread: Traditional bowl gouge grind

Traditional bowl gouge grind

So I have finally gotten the hang of sharpening the swept back grind. Using the one way and CBN wheels.
    But how do I set the jig to do a diff grind to do the bottoms bowls. For a different gouge altogether of course.

As for the Vari-grind jig I never change the settings. Mine is set at the angle suggested by Doug Thompson on his site. I also use the same exposed portion of the gouge - 2” for me, though I believe Doug suggests 1.75”. The only factor I change is the V arm setting. That setting changes the angle of the grind. On a bottom feeder, the cut is made using only a small portion of the nose, so the wings aren’t swept back. Folks use different angles for a bottom feeder ranging from 60-80*.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I use a Hunter #5 cupped carbide cutter for steep sided bowls. It has a cutting edge of 60 degrees but the outside bevel is 82 degrees so you can hold the tool almost straight out while cleaning up the bottom. It cuts super clean and is fantastic for box bottoms as well. I thought I had a video of the #5 but I have the #4 which is used the same way. The cutter on the #5 is smaller and cuts cleaner than the #4 but both tools are excellent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfp2kvhH6Mo&t=367s

Sharpen it on a platform much like you would sharpen a spindle roughing gouge, 10 to 15° off 90°.

Most BOB (bottom of bowl) gouges have a very slightly swept back grind, so the nose looks more like this ). Most of the time it is done on a platform set to 60 to 80 degrees. 60 is a bit shallow for going through a more rounded transition, and most of mine are at 70 degrees. With a more open bowl shape, just about any grind will work. Note here, grind off at least half of the heel of any tool used for going down the inside of the bowl, it keeps the cutting closer to the bevel rubbing spot for better tool control.

robo hippy

I may have invented the bottom feeder 30 years ago. Try sweeping it back and forth on a belt sander at a 70 deg bevel and slightly rounded ends on a 1/2" bowl or spindle gouge.

I have done it with and without the vari-grind jig. I prefer just the platform most of the time because of it takes less time. If you looking for constancy you can set your vari-grind on the first notch down that will keep the wings more upright and there are times I prefer this grind. I agree with Reed about the 70 degrees I grind back the wings about 10-15 degrees and remove the heel. I use parabolic gouges so not sure about V or U gouges. The only u gouge I have is a 6mm and I have it ground 40/40 by free hand. I only use this in very small stuff like boxes or rough for a finial type of stuff.
    Dean

Chris Ramsey's grind

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S Walker View Post
    I have done it with and without the vari-grind jig. I prefer just the platform most of the time because of it takes less time. ...
    Chris Ramsey turns cowboy hats, challenging at best. He ground freehand in about 15 seconds. Rounding the entire bevel then adding a tiny, narrow cutting bevel at the desired angle makes it easier to cut the transition. I took a fuzzy cell-phone photo of his usual grind and highlighted the working part of the bevel:

Ramsey_gouge_comp.jpg

JKJ

Thanks guys. A lot of great options here as always. I like to use the vari grind. I’m not a good free handed