Thread: Blade guard for large diameter saw blades

Blade guard for large diameter saw blades

I know most people are anti-bladeguards, but i like using them for most cuts for safety and dust collection. However, it seems the aftermarket options are only for 10" blades. Is there something available for 14"+ blades? Like i said, dust collection is probably 70% of the reason for me adding the guard, so a port would be helpful.

Shark Guard maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I know most people are anti-bladeguards, but i like using them for most cuts for safety and dust collection. However, it seems the aftermarket options are only for 10" blades. Is there something available for 14"+ blades? Like i said, dust collection is probably 70% of the reason for me adding the guard, so a port would be helpful.

Hi Patrick, I'm in the market as well. I have a large 18" saw that didn't come with a guard so I've been looking hard at options from Europe such as "SUVA". They are certainly top shelf but are expensive.

https://www.scosarg.com/suva-s91-nar...guard-complete

Axminster has some as well: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...ard-kit-211562

B

SCM spec’ed out the Suva guard on the 350mm saws for a period of time but I was never able to find a viable way to get them into the US As an accessory in a way that was cost effective. If someone were resourceful enough to buy a bunch from that UK dealer, then resell here, that could make them affordable.

Erik

If the saw has a riving knife or splitter, a Sharkguard can work for a 16" blade. I've not tried a 18" yet though. Lee will have dimensioned drawings available. Dave

BTW I don't think most here are anti-blade guard. You might consider an over arm guard, there are several out there. Here is a video of the Grizzly version that shows clearly it would work for a much larger than 10" blade.

Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yeah, i actually had an Excaibur yellow overarm guard for a few years on my unisaw. For the most part, i liked it alot. However, the guard would not have covered a 14-18" blade, and i ended up selling it about a month ago. The SUVA and axeminster look a lot like my optional Felder overarm guard, which is enormous. I havent done many bevels, but the guard shrouds the blade even at a 45°. However, like all products by SUVA, i dont even look at the price tag.

Sharkguard was my first thought, but I didnt see guards by size. Even exploring stuff for a PM72 said to contact Lee directly. Something like the sharkguard would be my ultimate preference. Overarm guards are nice, but they get in the way when you want to swing a feeder into position.

You could also consider replacing the hood on a commercial guard with a shop-made Lexan hood that's larger to fit your blade situation. I did that many years ago for an old UniGuard that didn't support dust collection. The material is easy to cut and you "weld" it together with solvent. You could, of course, make the whole guard setup if you want to and have time...several folks have done that in the past and posted about it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim, if you look at the SUVA guard there is no part of it that can't be easily made and the material for it is dirt cheap if you pick it up from the off cut bin at plastics supplier/fabricator. I made one for my saw.

Really, doesn't the guard only have to cover the exposed portion of the blade? It's a very rare occurrence that I have more than a couple of inches of blade above my work piece. As long as a guard is centered above the center of the blade it shouldn't really need to be sized for the blade.