Thread: Insulating water pipes

Insulating water pipes

I have some galvanized water lines in my cabin that get condensation on them and then it drips onto the floor. I tried insulating with foam rubber but I can't do the elbows and unions. Would painting these fittings with Plasti-Dip help keep them from sweating? Or does anyone know of something that can be brushed on to help insulate?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Buy some insulation one size bigger for the joints. Miter as needed just for the joints. You can buy pre made elbows etc for about $2.00 each.
    Bill D.

starts about one minute in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU7nh3z9zKk

The foam pieces are available for elbows. I would think for tee's too, but I've never looked for any. If they aren't available for tee's, they could be made from two elbow covers. Lowes sells it.

edited to add: I just checked Lowes website, and they do sell them for tee's too.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-05-2018 at 9:35 AM.

Cut the foam at a 45 and they’ll make the elbow.

In our new house, the water is almost 40 ft from the master bathroom. Took for ever to get hot water to the shower. I put foam insulation on the pipes and the hot water gets there is about 2/3 of the old time. Guess heating up the pipes and surrounding air was taking just too much.

Blog Entries
    They make some self adhesive foam tape for doing water lines.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    They make some self adhesive foam tape for doing water lines.
    This might be a good option, wraps to any shape and as thick as I want.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I can tell you this: if your water lines are carrying water that is below the dew point temperature of the air around them, they will sweat. Insulation will stop this if it is perfectly done. If you have even a pinhole in your insulation, water will build up in any gaps between the insulation and the piping it finds.

How do I know this? I work maintenance in a building with MILES of chilled water piping for cooling the building--the propylene glycol solution in them enters the building at 45ºF. Any exposed pipe sweats almost year-round.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore