Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

5 Nov 2018

Greetings,
    This past week, I took a few days off work to relax a bit and get some things done around the house that I've been wanting to get done for a while now. I seem to have more vacation time than I can take this year. They always talk about work/life balance but when it comes to taking time off, it's about getting time off approved.
    Finally got my motorcycle fixed and it's now back in fine shape. Now it's time to focus on a few things I want to get done in the shop. I start oncall duty this morning and today will be my first day back on the day job since last Monday. I'm sure I'll have about 2,000 emails and 30 meetings meetings that I missed last week and I'm 100% sure it will take me most all day today to get "back in the saddle" again after being off several days. We shall see.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have had a Grizzly G0490X jointer for several years. On day after I moved it when I released the rolling lift mechanism one of the pressed in threaded collars into which the adjustable level pad mounts, the collar popped out of the sheet metal frame. Last week I ordered some heavy duty leveler legs via Amazon. Saturday I installed them. It was nice to be able to release the wheel that allows me to move my jointer and have it set down on stable pads!

I am recovering from a terrible cold that settled in my chest so that was primarily it for shop work last week.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi, after returning from Virginia, I did something I don't normally do, I spent the weekend cutting firewood for Diann's parents.

They're too old to stay on the farm, however John has dementia and doesn't want to move..............What a mess...............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, after returning from Virginia, I did something I don't normally do, I spent the weekend cutting firewood for Diann's parents.

They're too old to stay on the farm, however John has dementia and doesn't want to move..............What a mess...............Rod.
    Aging parents can provide some interesting problems. Sorry to hear of it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Spent Saturday getting things around the yard ready for the first freeze. Took in the hoses, got the rain barrel emptied and set up so it goes directly into the overflow, cut up some pallets that were 'collected' by my fiancee, and did some burning.
    Then I got to do a couple of projects that my fiancee had saved for me. She is redoing a couple of dressers, and one needed a couple of repairs.

Yesterday, I went back into my shop to work on some of my projects. Came up with a design for a cutout on my tantalus. And got some lumber milled up for a drawer. I even had some time to give the shop a bit of a cleaning. (and filled a box of cutoffs that I had just burned on Saturday. ha)

Dennis, I hope that you don't "lose" that vacation if they don't permit you to take it.

Last week I worked on a tack trunk commission and started faddling with a CNC inlay job that might come my way. The trunk is built and partially through the finishing process for delivery this week. My weekend was the highlight, however...I traveled to southern Virginia to attend a two day sign painting and gilding workshop led by sign maker Rodger MacMunn from "north of the border". What a GREAT time! I learned a lot, unlearned a bit and generally enjoyed every single moment. Rodger is a hoot to work around, too. The training was hosted at Chris Vicker's Somerton Ridge Hardwoods shop (a shop to die for, BTW) and the food was outstanding, too, thanks to the efforts of Chris's spouse and friends. And for folks down that way, you WANT to do business with Chris. Outstanding lumber and some really good deals are to be had.

Here are a few pictures during the gilding exercise ... note that the work is not finished at this point as I have some touchup and cleaning to do. But it was "easy", albeit with very tedious prep work.

IMG_2820.jpg KQPC7381.jpg BCDY2457.jpg

And to make you smile...the inside side of the new bathroom door in Chris's lumber shop building...

IMG_2811.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Aging parents can provide some interesting problems. Sorry to hear of it.
    Thanks Ken, it's one of the phases of life isn't it?

I went through it with my mother, now we get to experience it again............At least we're only an hours drive away.

It's tough watching what has become of such a skilled cabinet maker, he can go get the eggs from the chickens, and play with the dog, and put wood on the fire..........Everything else is beyond him........Rod.