Thread: Brad point bits

Brad point bits

The time has come to replace my bit set. I have a Wood River set now. I have searched the forum about these, and most people say buy individual bits and build a set. I like having a set on hand. I know that W.L. Fullers are the best, but they cost a lot. I have looked at the Lee Valley set, I like those. I have been looking at Fisch also. Does anybody know how good they are. If there are any other brands that deserve a look let me know. I have been looking at sets 1/16 to 1/2.

No experience with the other brands, only the LV set. The LV set has met all my expectations, and then some.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a set of W. L. Fuller brad points that I use on the good stuff and a set of HF brad points on the cheap stuff. The Fuller are more expensive but worth the price in the long run.

Get them with hex shanks especially if they are made in China. There is a skill to making them hard enough to stay sharp and not so hard they snap off, and soft enough the shank can be gripped by a chuck.
    Bil lD.

+1 for the LV set. Also easy to replace individual bits when needed.

I also like the Lee Valley bits, accurately ground, sharp, they work very well...........Rod.

I have Colt Twinland and very pleased with them

Blog Entries
    Firstly, all good cutters cost. Making peace with that will let you then decide who gets your hard earned cash.

Another Lee Valley lipped bit fan here. I bought a small set and filled things in over time via Christmas and Birthday wish lists. They cut a very clean entrance and exit hole. They have a 'behavior' when cutting "ganged" material as the lips cut a perfect little disc at the exit pint, like a Forstner bit rim does, and this will spin against the next piece of material in the stack. I have learned the feel of this and just back off, flick off the disc and move on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Another +1 for the Lee Valley set. Had it for years, no issues and they cut perfectly.

Jim

Blog Entries
    I have never been disappointed with Lee Valley.

I’ve been happy with LV set.

Another Lee Valley owner here. Been very happy with them. Get your order in quick though as they are only doing free shipping for another few days.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

LV has Free Shipping right now if you decide that route. I also like the Montana Bits, made in the USA. I bought mine at Menards, not sure if they still carry the set I have. I have an older set of Rocklers, probably the same as your Wood River Bits. Dan