Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Need good tools for a woodworking career

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Not just in woodworking but in business in general new successful businesses often have one or a group of products or services that are quick easy sales (usually with a relatively low price) that help cover the overhead. When you have something consistent that covers the overhead it takes a lot of pressure off.
    You're describing a concept I recall Jack Welch the former CEO of GE called "you've got to find a way to eat while you dream".
    I always thought he had a gift for explaining concepts in a catchy homespun way.

Funny how these threads evolve - this one started on a request for a list of tools and now we're into Jack Welch quotes, ha.

Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 11-08-2018 at 9:32 PM.

If you’re unsure of what you think you’ll need, hold off on making any major purchases. I’d recommend that you try to gain some experience by working for professional woodworkers or in related trades before trying to make it on your own. If nothing else, you’ll learn about what the market is like in your area. I’d also recommend that you consider joining a woodworking club. Ive always found that being around skilled craftspeople has helped me progress as a woodworker.

The OP made his post on 11/4 and hasn't been back since, or at least hasn't logged in. I suppose it's possible he forgot his login and has been reading as a guest.

I think we're all wasting our time here, although there's been a lot of useful info for someone else to read down the road....not that we haven't discussed it about a hundred times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    ...not that we haven't discussed it about a hundred times before.
    With some exceptions, almost everything discussed in any forum falls into the category. In fact, woodworking magazines and books are looking more like that too, with recycled subjects and projects published issue after issue.

Simon

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    The OP made his post on 11/4 and hasn't been back since, or at least hasn't logged in. I suppose it's possible he forgot his login and has been reading as a guest.

I think we're all wasting our time here, although there's been a lot of useful info for someone else to read down the road....not that we haven't discussed it about a hundred times before.
    I stumbled on a similar thread from 2017. Guy wanted advice spending 25-50k on tools for a new shop - made one comment and the thread went on without a further word from the OP for a long time. Not sure why people do that. Maybe they already know what they want and when they don't get the answers they want, and they get a lot of questions/advice, they lose interest and/or it gets too overwhelming to answer everyone and so they choose to drop it entirely?

Cheers, Dom
    Last edited by Dominik Dudkiewicz; 11-09-2018 at 6:19 AM. Reason: Typo

Maybe he’s a troll. Sure worked on us!

There should be a way to lock the thread until the OP responds.

Same thread is going on at another site, and the OP is participating a little more over there. He plans on living off his wife's salary and borrow 10k from his dad. I wish him the best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    He plans on living off his wife's salary and borrow 10k from his dad.
    That makes sense, which is also what I know about some entrepreneurs who depended on family to finance their business dreams.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Yep, he's a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

There should be a way to lock the thread until the OP responds.
    Why would SMC want to lock a thread that's providing good conversation simply because the original poster hasn't been back to-date? That makes zero sense. These discussions are not just for "now"...they live on and could be helpful to someone else later, even if, perhaps...and there's no evidence of it...that the OP isn't who they say they are.

---

Come'on folks...what if you're wrong about the "troll" thing? You could be turning someone away from both the community and the activity...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here, Here, Jim. The 'wasted time' here is debating about whether this is wasted time. (Irony of this post fully recognized.)
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-09-2018 at 10:09 AM.

I agree with Jim.

All here have enjoyed this thread. It is interesting and informative.

Regards from Perth

Derek

troll or not, this was a fun little read. I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to feed the machine anymore. When I had my own carpentry company, it was a whale of a lot of fun at the beginning, out on the job building stuff. Then cam the long middle part that was actually work, building it up to about 60 employees, so I could go back out to the field and build stuff again. I don't miss the middle part a bit.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Yep, he's a troll.
    The good kind, it must be.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Yep, he's a troll.
    Lets not overlook the fact that he is from Amish country (lots of wood shops there) and has 200 posts to date. Life happens.
    NOW you tell me...