Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Need good tools for a woodworking career

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

There should be a way to lock the thread until the OP responds.
    Why?

Extra characters

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Same thread is going on at another site, and the OP is participating a little more over there.
    He replied a couple of times the first day then ghosted as he did here. He may show back up and he may not.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Maybe he is just a real slow reader.

Maybe he has a really slow connection. I hear rural America isn't that well connected yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The OP ran an identical thread over on WTO, where he received similar advice & comments that cover the whole spectrum. If you start a thread like that you just gotta expect all kinds of advice on all aspects of a WW career. Anyway, he showed up again today, not to provide more info or answer any of the many questions asked by people who wanted to help, but to argue with & castigate those who told him what he didn't want to hear.

I feel that it's extremely poor form to start a thread & then ignore all the information that others have made the effort to provide. At minimum, an acknowledgement & thanks is in order.

Edit: Sorry guys, I got my wires crossed. The thread on WTO was not the same as this one, but my comment still applies to this one.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 11-12-2018 at 2:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Lets not overlook the fact that he is from Amish country (lots of wood shops there) and has 200 posts to date. Life happens.
    I agree, people can't be watching the forums constantly, but see my comments in my last post.

"WTO"??

Waz that? Care to post the link? 'Nevva' can have too many woodworking links....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    "WTO"??

Waz that? Care to post the link? 'Nevva' can have too many woodworking links....
    I would have thought it was Wood Talk Online the forum for the Wood Whisperer's site. That said I haven't noticed the thread but I don't read as much there, he hasn't been back to the one on the LJ forum since the first day.

Edit: looking for the thread it may be a different guy, as I found one that meets the general description along with castigation but it is a guy looking for several machines for $900 and doesn't plan to sell anything.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 11-11-2018 at 7:38 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Why lock the thread? This is why:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I feel that it's extremely poor form to start a thread & then ignore all the information that others have made the effort to provide. At minimum, an acknowledgement & thanks is in order.
    And saying this has been an interesting read and good discussion is fine and all, but we have this discussion about twice a year so it’s kind of old hat. Clearly the OP hasn’t done much legwork himself which at minimum to me would be researching an Internet forum, or God forbid pricing out some machinery. Surely a business plan or reaching to a local SBO would be over the top.

Sorry, I think that turned into a rant.

Edit: just to add that I’m all for helping someone asking a question because that’s basically what this forum is about, but you need to have the tiniest bit of initiative or at least check back in on the thread. We’ve Posted SEVEN pages of responses.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-13-2018 at 8:01 AM. Reason: SP

I'm still not seeing the why.

Because he's getting grilled on possibly poor forum etiquette? It's not all sunshine, kittens, and winning lottery tickets.

Because without additional information from the OP this thread has gone way off course.

I guess I dont mind that the OP ghosted. I learned some things from the various replies, and would not have done a 'search' on the topic by myself.

So in a way, an occasional refresh sucks me into some threads that I wouldnt initiate on my own.

If I only read material that is specific to my exact 'interests', then I dont expand my thinking and become narrow. This is the problem I have with all the automated algorithms deciding what information to push my way (and more importantly, what NOT to send). Music is especially like this

(how is that for digressing off topic!)

Because without additional information from the OP this thread has gone way off course.
    Doesn't matter. The threads at SMC are not just for the OP...they are for everyone to participate in and potentially benefit from now and into the future. We do not lock threads just because an OP falls off the face of the earth or loses interest... If you're not interested in this topic, that's ok. Many others clearly are interested.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am often disheartened reading multiple posts that have nothing to do with original request for valuable information. They clutter up what would usually be a good read.

So, with all due respect, I have to ask who took it off course? It was not just Matt!

Please do not question the motives of others and keep in mind that the hardest of the "w" questions is "why". That can be true when we speak about what is on our own minds.

Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

im not, lots of info has come on many posts from people who do it for a living and what they share. I cant remember ever being disappointing from sideways info on any thread.

I likely didnt post on this one, I have trouble with the my Daddy gave me a race car, can you tell me the best way to be in Taladaga.