Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Need good tools for a woodworking career

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I cant remember ever being disappointing from sideways info on any thread.
    Some of the best information I have ever gotten on forums has been a result of thread drift. Thread drift is also almost inevitable when an OP doesn't tend their thread, many questions require followup questions from the forum, unless they are answered timely it usually causes thread drift in multiple directions but it rarely leaves a thread useless at least on SMC.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Isn't this pretty much how any discussion works. Start off taking about the Eagles, next thing you know, you're arguing about if a wolverine would beat a badger in a fight.

Reminds me of a certain someone we have all come to know very well. Well minus the wife part lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Same thread is going on at another site, and the OP is participating a little more over there. He plans on living off his wife's salary and borrow 10k from his dad. I wish him the best of luck

Looks like this thread may be coming to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    I want to build small items that would sell well. I’m thinking side tables, hall/wall tables, etc.
    Brian,

I read an article where the author built end grain cutting boards. But after a while the repetition started getting to him. Problem was he was making so much money he couldn't walk away from it, and the orders kept pouring in. But something simple like this could be a great place to start. And if you find that niche, it could help pay for the tools you need later on down the road.

As for quality of tools, I think that all depends on what you will be doing. Though you can't go wrong with quality hand tools because you will use them for a lifetime, the quality of power tools is in large part dependent on the kind of work you will be making them do. A good benchtop drill press can work just fine but if you're hogging out big holes the benchtop will become overworked. I used a lunchbox planer for 20 years but most all the wood I was buying was surface planed. I only needed it after resawing or custom dimensioning. Now all the wood I get is skip planed, at best, and that brought the lunchbox planer to its knees.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Johnny pretty sure the wolverine would kick the "you know what ''out of a badger. Just sayin...

Julie, the OP hasn't been back to SMC in over 2 weeks, his father may have read the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Johnny pretty sure the wolverine would kick the "you know what ''out of a badger. Just sayin...
    Not if it is a honey badger, cause honey badger don't care.

Now if you are talking about this honey badger and wolverine, I have no idea.

33.jpg

AP_17225073882724-e1503511666607.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The Amish go online more than the OP.

There seems to be some inside jokes or speaking in code in this thread. I was able to follow it for a while but maybe I'd better go back to the neanderthal forum.
    Edwin

It’s not exactly an inside joke if you did indeed read the thread. The OP hasn’t logged in to check on his thread to answer questions or add information for over 2 weeks.

Hey Matt ,lighten up. I have read the whole thread. Just my warped sense of humor coming out,I thought his comment about the thread going so far off course that we end up in an argument of who would win a badger and wolverine scrap hilarious. Zero offense intended, Mike.

Finally read all of these posts, love the Amish one Matt.