Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Piece Slab Top - cupped

Blog Entries

Three Piece Slab Top - cupped

Hi,

I have glued together 3 walnut slabs together to get a 40" x 8ft table top. When I glued it together, there wasn't a cup. Now I have a huge cup. (like 1/2" down from the center on both sides).

I have no idea how this happened or why.

It is changing seasons here, so Relative Humidity is bouncing around some. I had the table outside with a heavy moving blanket on top and draped over the sides for one night. It had a slight freeze that night. The bottom of the table is concave, the top is convex.

I live in Northern Utah. It's dry here year round. I think I'm going o get a MC tool to see if I can find a MC difference in the top of the table vs bottom.

Should I just wait this out? Let it re-balance itself? The table top is 2.25" thick.

thanks and cheers,

Blog Entries
    The top is now sitting in my shop, uncovered.

My only thought is to let it sit until the MC throughout the wood equalizes.

Blog Entries
    It is noticeably better today than yesterday. Going to keep waiting

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    The top is now sitting in my shop, uncovered.

My only thought is to let it sit until the MC throughout the wood equalizes.
    The bigger problem is that the moisture content of the air will never equalize and be stable for all time. As long as the humidity changes, so will the wood. That movement will need to be taken into account in the design, because you can't stop it. The wider the cross grain piece, the bigger the problem. Table tops are particularly sensitive to moisture, since they usually have wide crossgrain sections. And people want them to be flat, which the wood does not want to be due to the curved growth rings.

I’d set it on a couple sawhorses on edge with a 4’ clamp on each end clamped to the sawhorses so it is less likely to tip over. This will allow plenty of air to get to both faces. Hopefully it will flatten out. Be sure to finish both faces equally
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

If you had it outside and covered one side, then one side had air flow and the other didn’t and cupping is the wood’s reaction. Trying the reverse, covering the other side, might bring it back to flat.

In general, If the top is destined to be inside, I’d keep it inside.

Did you apply finish to the top and the underside?

MK

Stand it on end or sticker it. Chances are it will flatten out again on it's own.

John

Blog Entries
    It's sitting flat on sawhorses inside the shop (no blankets). I'm filling the cracks with epoxy. When that is done, I'll take into the house.

Thanks for all advice.

Blog Entries
    I also wouldn't mind having it run through a sander, so I'm waiting on it getting back to the way it originally glued up a few months ago.

1) Epoxy
    2) Wait for best case flatness
    3) finish inside to get it stable

That's my plan so far atleast.

Please get a copy of "Understanding Wood". It does a great job of explaining how changes in humidity cause wood to move. Flat sawn wood moves around 3X as much as quarter sawn wood with any given change in relative humidity in the room. I have a 37" wide red oak kitchen table that is all flat sawn. I live in Phoenix and the humidity indoors here goes from a low of around 20% to a high of 44%. That table will change in width 1/4" to 3/8" over than change in humidity. If it was quarter sawn it would move about 1/3rd as much. If you had a perfectly quarter sawn board. If the humidity increased it would get wider and thicker. If the humidity dropped it would get thinner and narrower. Same for a perfectly flat sawn board. Most boards are not perfectly quarter sawn or perfectly flat sawn. They have grain that curves when you look at the end grain on the board. When humidity changes the space between the growth rings will change and with the growth rings 3X as much. This will make the board curve. If you flatten it when the humidity is say on the low end of the range for your home, when the humidity changes it will warp. Every time. The book above has tables for nearly every wood telling you how much it moves. When gluing boards up you should alternate which way the grain curves so with a change in humidity they will warp in alternating directions. If you want to eliminate warp you need to have either perfectly flat sawn or perfectly quarter sawn wood. To minimize warp of a panel you glue up narrower panels. Truely fine antique furniture has a solid lumber core of narrow pieces glues up with alternating grain so it stays really stable and a nice thick figured grain veneer on top. I have an old industrial wood text book and in that they say to be stable never have parts wider than 6X the thickness. That means a 3/4" board should be about 4" wide or narrower.

Blog Entries
    When you get to the finishing stage, be sure to apply equal amounts of finish to all sides. This will greatly reduce the chance of it cupping again.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

What if the OP had ripped his slabs to narrow strips say 2 inches or so. Would this have helped?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon Klassen View Post
    What if the OP had ripped his slabs to narrow strips say 2 inches or so. Would this have helped?
    It might have helped with the cupping, and if it was possible to make it more vertical grain, with some of the expansion. No matter what, there will still be a small amount of cup or wave in the top, and it will still expand and contract with humidity changes. The bigger problem is that it makes your table look like a bowling alley with all those narrow boards

But that shows the problem of dealing with wood movement. Designs that look good sometimes don't deal well with wood movement, and designs that do well with wood movement, sometimes don't look so good. Ideally you can find things that look good and deal well with movement, like frame and panel construction, tongue & grove, etc. Things like tables can be hard to design for wood movement because of how we want the top to look. Something like a big huge table made from a single slab of thick wood looks great, unfortunately its nearly impossible to keep it from cupping and uncupping with the seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon Klassen View Post
    If he ripped and flipped ever other one over it would be stable. This is because the warp would alternate for each board.

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/w...269418501.html