Thread: Drum Sander- newer 16” vs older model 19”

Drum Sander- newer 16” vs older model 19”

I’m saving up for a drum sander. The super max sanders seem to be very well thought of. I’d consider the Jet as well. They are all very close in price. I’d probably go with the 18”-19” because I’ve never regretting bigger tools (see bigger lathe, 18” bandsaw, 52” rip fence) but looking at the SuperMax they do have a newer 16” model with built in digital readout. It’s about $200 less than their 19”, $300 less if I add the digital readout to the 19” myself.

The bigger one is all cast iron. The smaller is aluminum. Either capacity is probably way more than I’ll need.

Is the DRO helpful? Any other points I’m missing?
    Where did I put that?

have you given any thought to used equipment. woodmaster makes a very good sander and they sell resonably used.

I keep an eye on Craigslist. I’m in a fairly rural area, not much available in used tools usually and what is there needs major refurbishment. I barely have time for woodworking. I don’t have time to rebuild old tools.

But I do occasionally find gold. I picked up a great 8” jointer for cheap a few years ago.

Blog Entries
    I love my Supermax 19-38 so I am prejudice. They solved a lot of the long-running complaints on other machines (some of which they designed). Built-in tracking adjustment levers, crew adjustable bed leveling, easy paper changes, etc. although I am a big DRO fan (tablesaw, planer) I did not see the DRO on the drum sander as super useful. The height changes with the grit of your paper so a run at 80 grit would have to be re-calibrated for a run at 220. If you only use one grit it may become more useful. Like-wise quick height changes are not something I seem to miss on the sander. Similarly, I expected the DRO on my router table to be great. I rarely used it and the batteries have been out of it for a year and I haven't noticed. In contrast, if my tablesaw or planer DRO went dead I would stop and fix it immediately.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a fairly new SuperMax 16-32, with the DRO. I think the DRO is over-rated, for a couple of reasons. One, there is no way to adjust it precisely to a known value, like the Wixey I have on my planer. For instance, plane board and measure thickness with a digital caliper, then key in that exact value on the DRO. Two, the thickness of different grit sandpapers is enough that the precision of a DRO is wasted. You'd need to recalibrate every time you changed grits. Bottom line, I don't use it.

That said, the rest of the sander is a solid tool, I use it all the time. I was also pleasantly surprised at how well it works on pieces wider than 16". If you need more info on that aspect of it, let me know.

(Looks like Glenn and I were typing at the same time.)

I too have a Supermax 16/32 that I purchased new this spring. Like others have said, it is a solid machine and I'm very happy with it. I do like the DRO, though it is not capable of providing an "absolute" reading. I use it more for a way of establishing a relationship between to different pieces I may be sanding at the same time. If you are trying to save money, skip the DRO.

I looked at both when I was getting ready to buy this spring and I went with the 19-38 because it opens up to 4" and the 16-32 only goes to 3". Building banjos is the main thing I do in my shop and 3" wasn't quite enough to level off a rim cap. If you're only doing flat panels then I would think it wouldn't matter, but I would think about whether there might be anything taller you'd want to run through it before you decide. I had a Woodmaster 18" planer/sander convertible machine that I bought used and I will not buy anything of theirs again, it was one of those tools that does two or three things badly but nothing well. I think the SuperMax is very well designed and handy, the only thing I can say against it is that the top cover vibrates when it's running and is loud, but I stuck a nylon zip tie between the cover and the casting and now it's nice and quiet again.
    Zach

19-38 here and like the sander a lot like everyone else.
    Don

I have the SuperMax 25/50 and like it. The DRO is of no real value. Go for the biggest sander you can afford and have room for.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

4” may sway me.