Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Another coffee table

Just stunning work there Derek, you have to be pleased with that!

A fabulous gift! And your detailed threads are a gift to all of us on SMC--many thanks Derek!

I'm sure that table will be cherished for many lifetimes Derek. I would love to see the look on their faces when they open the package. Great post too.

Very nice Derek. You nailed the mid century modern look.

With respect to shipping, why all the added weight of the MDF box beneath? Just crate and ship it upside down.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Wow!

Very very nice....

I couldn’t give that away. You are a better man than I..

Bravo sir! Beautifully executed, as usual. Gives the rest of us poor slobs something to shoot for lol
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

You crack me up Brian.

Derek,

Beautiful work!

Stew

Spectacular table and perfect execution. Congratulation Derek

My deepest thanks for all the kind words to all, especially those who offered opinions since one of the reasons I post to to create discussion. There are just so many ways to do joinery, and so many takes on design. We all benefit from the diversity.

This has been an interesting build (they have to be interesting, otherwise why do it?). A challenging design to reproduce with hand tools. The first time I had attempted mitred dovetails. That was interesting. It came together very satisfactorily in the end. I am in awe of the top - that Jarrah is simply stunning ... far more so in real life where you can see the chatoyance and fiddleback.

A couple of better photos (perspective is everything) ...

Thanks again.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-19-2019 at 9:48 AM.

That turned out amazing. Thanks for sharing the beautiful, inspirational pictures and process. I’m sure they will love and cherish it.

Beautiful project! You nailed it.

Top work Derek, I hope you feel very satisfied with a job well done. It was interesting to see how you chose the grain for the best effect, think I really learned something there.

Interesting to note your use of hardwax oil and Brian's experimentation too. I can't recommend it enough. It's a great product and very hard wearing (I use a brand call Fiddes, but I expect they are all pretty similar), I usually buff it with some A4 paper and it comes up great. As you did, keep the coats thin and there's nothing to go wrong.

It was interesting to see you working on a piece that changed how you work at a bench too, different heights etc, away from the often cited small board on a bench.

I'm envious of your nephew, hope he knows what he's got there.

.. hope he knows what he's got there.
    Thanks Graham.

That was an interesting comment. I have thought about this before, and now again.

I do wonder whether anyone other than a woodworker understands what goes into a piece of furniture? Will my nephew understand the complexity of the joinery? Does he even know what a dovetail is? He probably have never heard of Jarrah - he lives in Sydney. Jarrah is not common there. He just pointed it out in a photo and said that he liked it.

He probably would not recognise a shortcut .. if it was there. There were no shortcuts because I would know that they were there.

You are a professional woodworker. You build the best you can. Dp you think that your customers can tell best from second best? Is it about price?

Opinions from others here regarding shortcuts and whether others understand the efforts made?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, I think your sentiment is true whether it’s a fine piece of furniture you e created or something as simple as a cutting board or turned bowl.

I’m a perfectionist and never truly satisfied with my own work. I have certain standards something has to meet before I will even let another person have it. However, most people I’ve made things for would have been happy with it if I’d stopped half way through the project and called it done. In the ikea world we live in I’m not sure anyone other than another wood worker really appreciates anymore the process, the skill and craftsmanship, the time, the attention to detail, etc. very few seem to care about that anymore.

Your table is an heirloom, museum quality piece as far as I’m concerned. I’m hopeful your nephew views and values it the same way.