Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCM - Minimax

SCM - Minimax

I am looking the Minimax Equipment instead of the Hammer (C3 41) ?

Combination Jointer/Planner : FS 41 Elite (16" & table 71")

Shaper: T45 W Classic (Knives = Tersa)

Saw: SI 315 Elite (Sliding table ±102")

Wat do you think about this machine and the kive Tersa

Sorry fo my English, I'm french from Marievile, Québec

I woul like to buy my Equipment next week

Thank-you

Obviously, you meant to connect the Tersa knives with the FS 41 Elite. Tersa knives are excellent.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I would buy from whichever company has a better reputation for customer service where you live, both before and after sale. Where I live, I would buy Hammer even though I think MiniMax might be slightly better machines.

John

Yes Van I saw the mistake I did, the Tersa goes with de Jointer/Planner

Thank you John, Here in Montreal, Québec, both have a good reputation but I not shure yet what I gone a do. Felder have an office in Montréal since ±1 year

I'd check the build of each machine. I think the MM machines are spec'd somewhere between hammer and 700 series but that changes with every redesign so I'd check both. Dave

Salut Guy!

What I don't like about the minimax/scm kit is the lousy RPM options on their shapers. The specs are for 50hz European power, but run over here the RPMs are pretty strange. I would get a Felder shaper of the two of them, or get a shaper with a three phase motor and run it with a VFD.

B

I'd check the speed. I've seen that MM shaper advertised as 4 speed, 3500,6000,8000, 10000 and as a three speed with 50 hz numbers. Given the build of those shapers and the size of cutter they can handle, 6000 and above will be most used. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I'd check the speed. I've seen that MM shaper advertised as 4 speed, 3500,6000,8000, 10000 and as a three speed with 50 hz numbers. Given the build of those shapers and the size of cutter they can handle, 6000 and above will be most used. Dave
    It's strange because when I looked on their web page, the big font glitz and glam said "4 Speed" but when you go look at what speeds are, they give you three speeds at 50Hz. They may say them in other places too. We've seen in a few places here that the speeds they end up at is 4200, 8400 and over 10k. 8400 is too fast for a lot of larger blocks....not all I understand, but many.

B

I don’t know about the Minimax shapers,but the speeds listed on my SCM T110 are 3000, 4500, 6000, 8000 and 10,000 rpm. I’ve never checked to see if thats what it’s doing at 60hz, but I could later this evening. I mostly run it on the 6000 and 8000 rpm settings.

Blog Entries
    I have the FS41ES, I’ve used it for about a year now and I think it’s a pretty solid machine. I would buy it over the E, the extra weight of the build is worthwhile. Not much increase in overall cost vs the E.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have had three SCM/Minimax machines everyone of them has been fantastic! Currently I have a CS 410 Elite S which I bought after looking at Hammer and Felder machines. The Hammer was too light and had smaller work surfaces in my opinion but price wise it was in the ballpark of the Minimax. The Felder was also lighter in build and had smaller work surfaces than the Minimax. It had fancier CNC tidbits which were usually optional extras and the price was considerably higher than the Minimax.

As a Canadian buyer and woodworker the Minimax checked all of the boxes for my needs and that's why it's in my shop. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Chris Fournier; 11-04-2018 at 1:54 PM. Reason: Model correction

If you are looking at the Hammer, a closer fit from the MM side would be:

-FS41 Classic
    -SC4 Elite
    -T45W Classic

Or, you could always go with a CU-410 Classic if you wanted a full combo to begin with. You DO want the Tersa head, by the way. Best of luck in your search.

Erik

Thank you all of you in the forum

Erik, I just asked a price for CU 410 ES an I should received today or tomorrow

Minimax

Finale I bought SCM Equipment
    Saw: Mnimax SI 315 ES (3200 - 126" sliding table)
    Jointer/Planer: Minimax FS41 C + mortise
    Shaper: Minimax T45 W C
    Attached Images Attached Images