Thread: biggest scare ever in my shop

biggest scare ever in my shop

I was working on a box for a friend, and needed to plane the stock to 3/8" so went over to the planer and set it up. Moved the dust collection onto the planer and reached for my ear protection - ear muff style like I wear at the range. As I was lifting them up to put them on I noticed movement or something on them, and took a closer look. Inside the ear muff cavity was a 1 1/2" long wolf spider. It gives me the willys just thinking about having put them on without seeing it. Having that thing running around in my ear . Take a finger with the table saw. Get stitches from a chisel slip. Etc. These things I can deal with - a known danger. But a wolf spider in the ear??? Alfred Hitchcock is luring in my shop, I'm sure of it. Needless to say, not only did I spray the shop, but the ear muffs are dealed in plastic bags.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Good catch, I think new ear muff's are in order
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this Bill. I never really thought about transferring the "shake out your boots" process to ear muffs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I never heard of a wolf spider, so I looked it up. They are reasonably harmless; I'd hate to have one bit my ear, but I'll take a whole bunch of those instead of having put my finger into a bandsaw.

Yikes, good catch! I wear muffs frequently with my cnc router. I always blow the cups with air and look for critters. The thought of having something crawling in my ear gives me the heebie jeebies.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Eeeeeeeeee gads.
    I absolutely hate (scared of) spiders more than just about anything else imaginable.
    Never even thought about something lurking in the ear muffs.
    Will never put them on again without knocking them around enough to expel any critters.

Scary one Bill. Glad you caught it!
    I think I'll start putting mine in a ziploc bag now......
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have Stihl hard hats with face and hearing protection. When I get these out of shed the first thing I do is get the spiders and spiderwebs out of the ear muffs. They are usually small. They don't freak me out but even little spiders crawling on the ears would be distracting while running the chainsaw or sawmill, or even the weedeater.

Blog Entries
    Hope you don't mind if I go a bit off-topic, but when I was in grade school a girl in my class's little brother was having problems with sinuses, felt something earitating (pun intended) at times for no reason.
    She CLAIMS that eventually they discovered that a spider had taken up residency in his sinuses. Had to go in and surgically remove it.
    That's what I was told, anyway.
    Your milage may vary.

I never heard of a wolf spider, so I looked it up. They are reasonably harmless; I'd hate to have one bit my ear, but I'll take a whole bunch of those instead of having put my finger into a bandsaw.
    Harmless in and of itself...but....the startled reaction a person could have,,,around razor sharp whirling blades,,,,is what would concern me the most.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Here is what my daughters say about spiders;

I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck