Thread: Making the DC a little easier to use

Making the DC a little easier to use

My Dust Collector is just a generic 2 hp machine which I have had for about 10 years. It is linked to a dust separator (Super Dust Deputy), which does a decent job, and most of the dust is collected in the steel bin. The whole arrangement is due for upgrade at some time (I'd like a dedicated cyclone), but until then I have made a couple of mods to make it less of an irritation to use.

The first mod I made some while back was to connect the SDD to a chain attached to the ceiling ...

This made it easier to unclip the lid when it was time to empty the bin. It just hangs around, as they say ...

But by far the biggest irritation was having to replace the plastic bag. This would fill when I forgot to empty the steel bin. The next thing I knew, the bloody bag was full and it needed to be replaced! That involved unstrapping the bag, and refitting another. It was a little easier to hold in place by first taping it down, then adding more tape to seal the connection, and finally attaching the steel strap.

I really hated this procedure, and finally hit on a simple way to make changes easier.

What I wanted to do was use a second steel bin in place of the plastic bag, which I had already, but I could not think of a way to connect it efficiently. Then the simplest solution finally percolated through my skull ... use the plastic bag!

First step is to add a gasket (door sealer) to the edge of the bin ...

Then cut off the bottom of the bag, tuck it over the bin, and use the clamp to seal it up ...

This is what it looks like with the DC running ...

It is early days, and I have not yet experienced any problems. Any dust that does get into the DC bin is easy to see through the clear plastic. Now I need to do something about keeping an eye on the dust collecting in the DSS bin. Any ideas?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Great idea with the bag connection to the bin. For the DSS bin, can you cut a window in it and seal it with a piece of plexi? I think I saw this idea on the Woodgears site, put a window on each side near the top and add a light shining in one window (like a flashlight beam) so you can see what's inside thru the other window.

Doug, I have been considering that. I need to check how thick the perspex needs to be prevent it from deforming. Also how best to seal it - some who have tried this have reported it is prone to leaking.

Regards from Perth

Derek

You have vertical clearance, so you might consider adding a transparent tube between the cyclone and its outlet bin. Flex tubing would do. That would let you see if the bin had overfilled, or if there were an LED inside the bin, could let you know when its height had been covered. The second option would require bag liners to be transparent. A secondary benefit is that it might improve small particle separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    You have vertical clearance, so you might consider adding a transparent tube between the cyclone and its outlet bin. Flex tubing would do.
    Exactly what I'd done here, but most of the time I don't generate enough at once to fill it. I generally check inside the can before starting for the day and after I'm done, just to be sure it's not close. I also make sure the seal is good after checking, having once failed to do so and basically tornadoed half a Brute can's worth of dust up and out.

I think if you keep it small it is less likely to deform and it if you put the perspex on the outside with a bead of silicone (I assume the bin is under negative pressure) the suction will pull it into the seal. I like Alan's idea also you can fab a cylinder of perspex between the bin and cyclone and add a light.

I know you've moved on from the bag, more or less, but one thing that made putting the bag back on WAY easier was using rare earth magnets to hold it in place while reconnecting the clamp.

My bag fills up, too, especially when I'm planing. I used to dread emptying it but now it's no problem.

Hi Brian

Magnets are a good idea. Not having to clamp the bag is even better!

I will look into building a window. Probably the best, and cheapest, idea is to check the bin more frequently!!!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek
    Rather than spending hundreds on a Bindicator I made a 1" hole in the lid and inserted a rubber plug. With the machine off I use a dipstick to check dust level. If you remove the plug while running the draft thru the hole will blow a big divot in the dust and you will get an incorrect reading.

If you cut that bag off neatly and fold it back inside about 6" the tail of it will fall down inside the drum and it will be neater when you empty the drum.

I have the same setup and had the same issue with the drum filling. To fix I added a "sight" to the top lid of the drum. Places like mcmaster car sell these for determining the level inside a steel drum.

11. I just converted my HF dust collector from single stage to 2-stage by adding a 20 gal separator with a homemade Thein baffle. I feel that way too much debris is getting thru the baffle and into the bag below the Wynn filter. How do I troubleshoot this situation?

Tom beat me to it. A boat plug in the lid and a stick.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    +1 on the magnets. I used to see a lot of junk hard disc drives. I got pretty good at taking them apart for the magnets.

I empty the nice heavy clear bag into a cheaper bag and reuse it. I've had my DC for 10 years now and I finally broke down and put on the second bag. At that rate, the 6 bags I have should do me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I know you've moved on from the bag, more or less, but one thing that made putting the bag back on WAY easier was using rare earth magnets to hold it in place while reconnecting the clamp.

My bag fills up, too, especially when I'm planing. I used to dread emptying it but now it's no problem.
    Brian, that’s a great idea! Can’t believe I never thought of it before. Like Derek was, I’ve been taping the bag until I could get the clamp on.

One thing I have done that has stopped the leakage from the top of my bag was to put a strip of weatherstripping in the channel where the clamp fits. Slide the bag over that and clamp it in place- no more leaks. Previously I had to tape the top of the bag to the DC body above the clamp to seal it shut.