Thread: Any trouble with Moxon vise like this...

Any trouble with Moxon vise like this...

Got tired of having to mount and unmount my moxon vise any time I needed it or space on my bench. I did this...

5F92021A-025D-4162-B39D-6E22686CF740 by Tony, on Flickr

...with it. Any trouble y’all foresee with it? Any suggestions on how I do it better until I can beg, borrow, or build a dedicated woodworking bench?

People usually mount them higher than the bench top. I think that’s the whole point to having one. Build a tall bench 38”?

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    People usually mount them higher than the bench top. I think that’s the whole point to having one. Build a tall bench 38”?
    My only problem is that it is the only vise I have on a commercial bench not made for woodworking. I am aware that the typical mounting is on top and I’ve used it that way for four years. Why it’s where it is is explained in my initial post.

Blog Entries
    That is a double screw vise. Great for many things.

It would be a debate as to whether or not that is truly a 'Moxon' vise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Tony,

It should work as long as you do not put too much down force on it. With only "F" clamp support vs. normal bench top I expect any strong down pressure would cause a disconnect.

Just build a simple bench out of construction grade wood, easy, fast, and cheap to do. I can usually knock one out in a couple of weeks while working full time at the day job. Over thinking the build, making it look like furniture, and adding a bunch of unneeded vise hardware and gewgaws is usually what adds cost and time to the build.

ken

Looks good. With a few screws you could mount it flush. Maybe add a block behind to stiffen the mounting.

A Moxon vise? This is what Moxon called a vise:

moxon vice.png

This is what Moxon called a double screw:
    moxon bench.png

Moxon says the double screw can be fixed at the front of the bench or fastened on top of the bench. In the 17th and 18th centuries lots of wood workers had a double screw vise at the front of the bench. The Dominy family used a double screw vise well into the 19th century. It would be helpful if your front cheek were the same height as your "bench top".

For dovetails, I recommend sawing at bench level with upright posture. Not like this:
    schwarz dovetail.jpg