Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stroke Sander

Stroke Sander

Had been looking for a drum sander, but now thinking a stroke sander may be a better idea.
    What should I look for in one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    Had been looking for a drum sander, but now thinking a stroke sander may be a better idea.
    What should I look for in one?

Thanks
    Good luck finding an old one with the table that you can afford, they bring blood money anymore because people want the tables for other purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Good luck finding an old one with the table that you can afford, they bring blood money anymore because people want the tables for other purposes.
    A quick Google brought up stroke sander base converted into a “table” with 3 crude bleached wood planks. Asking price $9,500. Crazy!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    A quick Google brought up stroke sander base converted into a “table” with 3 crude bleached wood planks. Asking price $9,500. Crazy!
    It is like the old industrial carts, years ago you couldn't give them away and then they hit the upcyclers radar.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I picked up a SCMI L55 stroke sander for $1,100 used. Great condition. Stroke sanders can be found cheap but most of them take up a lot of space. The best thing about the L55 is that it's an 8' table that takes up little space when not in use. It folds up in seconds. You need to master some skills and patience with such machine. Stroke sanders and drum sanders (or wide belt) are like apples and oranges. So choose wisely!

I have an old German stroke sander, vacuum hold downs in the table, made for sanding veneers. Think it adjust by the 1/10 mm. It's still in a corner, unassembled though.

One here for $350: https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tl...738798951.html

Another time a grizzly was on CL for $400

Seems like they are out there....

Stroke and drum sanders are very different beasts. What do you want to do with one or the other?

A drum sander (inferior to a wide belt but similar in concept) will handle a piece of any length with a small footprint. To do any significant stock removal by abrasion requires a lot of power- how much do you have available? It will produce a flat surface that needs further refinement to get ready to finish. Changing grits takes considerable time.

A stroke sander is more of a finish sanding machine, takes up more space and requires less power. Changing belts takes a couple of minutes. It is limited to the fixed size of its table. Old ones used to be a drug on the market, but I guess that has changed. Not too many people appreciate what you can accomplish with a stroke sander. They take a certain amount of skill. A real time saver if you are working with raw veneer.

Like Bill, I have a Mini-Max L55, whose compact fold-up design works great in my small shop. I got it for $650 plus a serious road trip. I have a wide-belt available only a few miles away so I don't need to invest in one.

I have an old German stroke sander, vacuum hold downs in the table, made for sanding veneers. Think it adjust by the 1/10 mm. It's still in a corner, unassembled though.
    I keep thinking I should get a stroke sander for sanding the outsides of assembled dovetail drawer boxs. 2' of useable sanding area is all I'd need, so I'm guessing my options, outside of having a new one custom made, are fairly limited

Have a look on Ebay. There are a few nice ones in your area. I'd love to have one but am spatially challenged. I could get more use out of one if it tilted to be an edge sander like the one Grizzly sells.

[QUOTE=Carl Beckett;2862206]One here for $350: https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tl...738798951.html

Good price!
    I bought my cnc from a fellow in Nashua NH back in May, but it was a long drive and I'm not anxious to go that far again. .

Found a picture of mine before I took it apart. 20170630_100021.jpg
    Interesting pattern on the floor.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-02-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks I like the Boice Crane that's on E-bay but its in Rhode Island. Also like that Grizzly combo, but its too pricey as are the only two closer ones on E-bay and I just bought a nice Delta edge sander with a 6" x 132" belt.

I was looking for something just a bit smaller than that beast!

Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney