Thread: Inlay techniques

Inlay techniques

I’ve never done inlays before. Looking to do some on a small cutting board.

What are some techniques you guys prefer?

P.s this is my first year woodworking and everyone on this forum has been super helpful and given great advice! Thanks everyone!

I use a router for inlay most of the time and this is a solid video on the basics.

Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Nick, you can also inlay with simple hand tools which you can make yourself or buy at Lee Valley or Lie-Neilsen. Steve Latta has some videos that explain it and I believe he demonstrates this on the Woodwrights Shop on PBS. It involves scratch stock on a fence to create grooves, and then gluing strips of wood into those grooves. If you need more information PM me and I can go into more detail. Here is a blanket chest for my daughter I inlayed many years ago. IMG_6943.jpgIMG_6943.jpgIMG_6943.jpg

Stringing, line and berry types of inlay like Mark showed is easy with the right hand tools.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.