Thread: Need some advice for staircase remodeling

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need some advice for staircase remodeling

Hello Stairs Gurus

Like many others, I am pulling out my carpet and replacing w/ wood and need a bit of help. I have no experience with stairs before but have done research on this topic for the past several weeks and got to learn about stairs building code, etc. Few questions on my mind:

1) What type of wood would best match the look of my laminate flooring (picture below)?
    2) I plan to paint my risers plain white. Is it recommended to use plywood? Or a cheaper wood such as poplar is preferred? Please let me know the gotcha of plywood. I plan to use the 1/4" plywood to accommodate the curved front of the first 4 steps.
    3) what you all think of using cove moulding under the stair nose? I would stain them as the tread.
    4) what you all think of using 1/4 round moulding above the tread at the bottom of the riser? I would paint them white
    5) I have large landing area, would you recommend using T&G matching flooring?
    6) I am buying treads/risers/coves online thus shipping time and cost is quite significant. How much extra part do you usually get? I want to avoid placing a second small order midway during the project. It would delay the project and shipping big items is not economical.
    7) Is it a good idea to stain+polyurethane the treads and paint the risers before cutting them? I want to avoid the smell in the house. It's getting cold, thus opening the windows is not desirable.

Also attaching a sketch of the stair case. It is closed by drywall on both sides. The new treads and risers will go above and in front of the existing plywood treads (1") and risers (3/4").

Thanks much
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joe webb; 11-03-2018 at 2:58 AM.