Thread: Thread chasing

Thread chasing

I'm planning on buying a thread chasing set for boxes, etc. What TPI would be most useful and is there a particular set that users recommend ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mills View Post
    I'm planning on buying a thread chasing set for boxes, etc. What TPI would be most useful and is there a particular set that users recommend ?
    Most people I've talked to say to start with 16 tpi. I have 16 and 20 and the 20 might be too fine for some woods. I like 16 tpi for boxes, although I usually cheat and use a jig! (Don't make the mistake I made at first and put too many threads on a box.

Maybe John Lucas will see this - he's chased a lot of threads. Or send an email and ask Mark StLeger, or I could ask him when I see him tomorrow. (The sets I have are both from Mark. You have to make your own tool to hold pressure on the internal chaser, but easy to do.)

BTW, several people recommend practicing on some PVC pipe.

JKJ

Thanks John. Thanks all I need to know, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mills View Post
    Thanks John. Thanks all I need to know, for now.
    I did see Mark today and he said the 20 tpi was probably a little easier to learn but the 16 might be more useful, especially for boxes.

I use 16TPI mostly. I'm not sure 20 is easier. The wood definitely needs to be better quality for 20 tpi. 16 is more useful for normal size boxes in the 2" diameter range. If they get much larger then it's better to use 12 or 10.