Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisel Cabinet

Chisel Cabinet

Hi Everybody,

I just finished a cedar cabinet, made with hand tools, to store hand tools and feel the need to share the few photos I took with the few people who might be interested in such a thing. It is all cedar, with through mortises and dadoes for the panels, which were glued up and rabbited from three pieces. A picture is worth a thousand words...IMG_0101.jpgIMG_0100.jpg

Michael,

Nice cabinet and good collection of chisels in it. Good on you.

ken

Very well done Michael. Nice bunch of chisels for immediate use as they hang there waiting a turn. Question - In the cabinet fixed to the wall - upper right corner - looks like some paring chisels - what brand are they please? Robert Sorby?
    David

A very handsome cabinet. I find the through mortises a very attractive design, and it goes very well with your fine collection of Japanese chisels.
    -Howard

On the left hand door those look like socket chisels— Stanley or Lie-Nielsen. Any trouble with the handles coming off?

Yes David, those are Sorby paring chisels. They are nimble in hand and take a fine edge, though the Japanese paring chisels take and hold an edge better, sometimes I want the feel of the Sorby's.

Michael

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, I am enjoying it so far.

Tony, those socket chisels are a mixture of Stanley and Lie-Nielsen. Occasionally in the winter with the heat on the handles will come off. Easily solved with a firm rap. Though not my favorite, there are some operations where I really like the shape of the socket chisels.

Michael

I do not have the knowledge to compare the steels, but R Sorby and A Iles handles feel just right in my hands. Thanks.
    David

I can't tell very clearly, are they held up with magnets?

Thanks for sharing Michael.
    These threads give good ideas and inspiration for others ( like me ) planning there own shop storage.

Very nice cabinet! Thanks for sharing. I like the cedar and the through joints.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

They are held up with magnet strips Pat. It makes for a more efficient use of space and flexibility with arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    They are held up with magnet strips Pat. It makes for a more efficient use of space and flexibility with arrangement.
    Thanks. Looks very nice!

Some people worry about magnets magnetising the steel. When you sharpen the swarf sticks to the edge.

Any problem with chisels coming off the magnets when closing the cabinet or nudging one while getting another?