Thread: UPS Recommendation for Zing 24 (50 watt)

UPS Recommendation for Zing 24 (50 watt)

I am purchasing a Zing 24 with 50 watt laser and see that Epilog recommends an 1800 watt UPS for it. Does anyone have any recommendations? Does it really need to be 1800 watts or 1800VA?

Thanks,
    Alan

Blog Entries
    Why universal power supply? You have poor power supply that goes off a lot? Most won't power the laser long enough to matter. Fergie it and save the money. Buy a good rated power strip that will prevent surges and spikes.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I agree that a UPS would be pretty useless. A line conditioner might be useful if you have power spikes/sags, but otherwise save your money and get to work!

So, do most not use an uninterruptible power supply? Epilog recommends using one and being in Texas we do lose power during spring storms. Even today the power went out for about two hours. I believe the recommendation is to prevent wasting material from the power going off. Here is their information on it.

http://support.epiloglaser.com/article/8205/29826/epilog-uniterruptible-power-supply

Alan

I can't say what most do, but I can say what I do - I have a UPS on every computer, network storage drive, wifi router and switches, as well as my two fiber machines. Nothing on my Trotec. 99% of the work I do is on anodized aluminum so restarting a job after a power failure is no problem. The only reason the fiber machines have a ups is because they are computer integrated and I want to be able to shut down all computers manually during a power outage, not so I can continue lasering.
    It may be inconvenient to restart a job on some materials, maybe even impossible, but what is the cost of those materials vs the cost of a ups large enough to continue the job? A 1,300 watt ups prices at a minimum of $1,000 and that's a lot of Rowmark! If you have frequent problems then a more robust system would be in order, something gas or propane powered that starts automatically and provides power to everything, not just your laser.

This is one area where the Chinese did something right, at least with my Triumph...No matter WHY the power is shut down to the machine, either by accident or on purpose, the machine stays on for about 5 seconds (capacitor?) and during that time it records the machine's progress. I can unplug it from the wall, and once it's plugged back in, the machine will find the limit switches then start right back where it left off.

None of my 4 'western' machines will do this...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Yep Kev, I have used this feature twice in the last year. Works great. (not storm related, just stupid people hitting power pole and a squirrel.)

And can you REALLY pause the machine in that 5 minutes you have and get it to restart on that Epilog? BTW, those batteries deteriorate pretty rapidly. My past company replaced about every 2 years after realizing they had almost zero safety after a year or so.
    Save your money.
    Last edited by John Lifer; 11-05-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others