Thread: Roloc or velcro sanding discs

Roloc or velcro sanding discs

I was thinking of getting a close quarters drill and some 2" sanding discs. I have electric sanders that use both velcro and stick on type discs but not the Roloc type. Is there an advantage in going with the Roloc style? They do seam to cost a little more but if there's an advantage, like say they last longer or don't come off and damage the holder or the bowl then I don't mind the extra cost.

I've used both. the only downside I have for the roloc is that when sanding the inside of a bowl side I reverse the drill direction. The roloc will come undone. The only advantage to them is that it is faster to change grits. Darryl

Alex - I had the same question a while back and from suggestions here made two sets of disk holders myself. Some info here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....hlight=sanding

Mike
    I read your thread but it seamed more about making a holder for the sandpaper. Maybe in the future I'll make some but for now I'm just going to buy what I need so I can get a feeling for what I like. I figure it's like a scroll chuck. Once you choose a brand that's most likely the brand you'll stick with. In this case if I'll most likely buy the sanding discs in groups of 50 or 100 for each grit so once I pick a style I doubt I'll switch.

I have had good luck with the combination rol-loc and Velcro system from Woodturners Wonders.
    https://woodturnerswonders.com/colle...ch-sanding-kit
    The Velcro holds up better since you are not changing paper each grit and you get longer life. With a rack to store the different grit mounted it is a fast change.

If I remember correctly the Rol-loc discs are that red aluminum oxide abrasive. It works but is a bit on the expensive side. I prefer the blue discs from VincesWoodNWoners. Best value on discs, and they cut longer than any other disc I have found. Side note here, a 3 inch disc has more than double the surface area of a 2 inch disc.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Mike
    I read your thread but it seamed more about making a holder for the sandpaper. Maybe in the future I'll make some but for now I'm just going to buy what I need so I can get a feeling for what I like. I figure it's like a scroll chuck. Once you choose a brand that's most likely the brand you'll stick with. In this case if I'll most likely buy the sanding discs in groups of 50 or 100 for each grit so once I pick a style I doubt I'll switch.
    Alex - when I was looking for sanding disks like you I was attracted to the Roloc but more experienced turners suggested I make my own. Making your own you can have a disk holder that is dedicated to each grit, you can customize the pad stiffness, and save some tool budget money. I made 2" and 3" sets of I think 8 grit sizes for around $40. I bought my first set of sanding disks from Vince but a second set from WoodturningWonders. One thing I like about Vince's is they are oversize.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    One thing I like about Vince's is they are oversize.
    +1 Love his discs.
    I bought several mandrels, or you could make them as above. The reason is, I found taking off and putting the discs back on is hard on the velcro. Sometimes the mandrel part tears off the pad part. Disc is no good anymore. Swap mandrels to swap grits. Oh. Buy the "magic" belt/disc sandpaper cleaner eraser that cleans off the disc. Makes the disc almost new. I use my discs quite a long time, as our woods are typically oily, and that gums up the discs way before they wear out. Plus, I'm frugal, so I use my sandpaper way too long.... The magic eraser is pricey but I still have mine from years ago. Marginally works on regular sandpaper. I clean that too. I'm really cheap.