Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this motor okay for a woodshop?

Is this motor okay for a woodshop?

Is this motor okay for a woodshop? - I would use it on a bandsaw.

The cooling fan draws air through the motor windings, will this jam up the works with dust?
    Or can I blow it out with my compressor at the end of the day?

Alternatively can I modify the motor? Maybe by placing filter material over the rear opening?
    Or by sealing the motor and using a fan to cool it externally?

The motor is 3 hp 3 phase.

thanks, Mark
    IMG_1537.jpgIMG_7031.jpg

You'll be ok IMO.

Most band saw motors are external and aren't going to be that affected as compared to say a table saw.

The say you should blow them out periodically.

A three phase motor will not be much affected by dust. There is no starter switch to worry about.
    Bill D.

It will work for a while but it is not suited to the environment. Open frame motors like this are intended for dust free environments. Use it but keep an eye out for a sealed motor. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Open frame motors are what have come on Delta band saws since 1937. So for 80+ years they have worked. The enclosed stand 14" model has an open frame motor, at least mine does. Motor is original

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    It will work for a while but it is not suited to the environment. Open frame motors like this are intended for dust free environments. Use it but keep an eye out for a sealed motor. Cheers
    I still have open motors from 115 years ago that run better than any TFEC style newer motor.
    I have seen motors packed to the gills with sawdust just purring right along.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I still have open motors from 115 years ago that run better than any TFEC style newer motor.
    They are usually packed full of grease on the inside too. Dave

Thank you all for your replies. I'll put the motor to use, see what happens.

Is it recommended to blast the inside with compressed air to clean it? - a buddy says this is not a good idea, that it pushes dust into places there shouldn't be dust.

I used a single phase open frame motor on a table saw for years and never had any problems. And (in my opinion) blowing it out with compressed air is fine.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have a Reuland (closer to 50yo then 100) that was running fine when I got it but I must have cleaned a full pound of dust out of it, it would have been hard to get any more in it if you actually tried.

To the OP I would just mount it and forget it, if it is in a hobby shop your great great great grandkids may have some issues, if it is in a commercial shop your grandkids might.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I put a couple of layers of HVAC return filter on one motor which gets most of the dust and doesn't obstruct the airflow.

I would not use compressed air I would use a shop vac. If they used Shielded bearings they will end up drying out. When that happens replace with rs bearings.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    If the motor is used at close to full load, it will most definitely be affected by heavy dust accumulation. There's no start switch to go bad, but the windings will overheat. As long as your careful to blow the dust out you'll be OK though.

Once again, thank you all. I like John's idea of putting some HVAC filter over the intake end of the motor. I'll put that on my mythical punch list.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    If the motor is used at close to full load, it will most definitely be affected by heavy dust accumulation. There's no start switch to go bad, but the windings will overheat. As long as your careful to blow the dust out you'll be OK though.
    If the OP wants to be (overly) cautious that is obviously fine. However, it is very hard to load a bandsaw heavily for any period of time, power fed resawing with one person pitching and one catching does it but that is very rare. The next thing to notice is that this is a high quality motor which happens to be an inverter duty motor which means it has very high temp insulation on the windings, probably 200 degrees C. Finally one would assume the OP has at least decent dust collection in his shop that coupled with the fact bandsaws tend to have low dust loads around the motor itself significantly reduces the dust migration into the motor compared to some other WWing machines.

I am pretty sure the OP will be fine no matter which approach he takes.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.