Thread: Lidded Box

Lidded Box

Lidded Box 9.5" x 4.5" pommele sapele
    Lacquer finish C&C welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Very nice shape. The wood is incredible too, as is the carved knob/finial. Can you describe how you went about the carving?

JKJ

I really like it. I'm intrigued as to the techniques you used for the finial. It really enhances an already beautiful piece.
    Dick Mahany.

Thank you John and Dick...The finial was first turned and sanded to the outer shape then I drew the spiral making as even space as I could. Then I used a very small V shape hand carver and cut those lines as deep as I could, then went to a bit larger U shaped carver and went as far as I could. After that I had a established grove and used my Dremal w/ a small 1/8" ball cutter and penitents to remove the bulk of the center. to keep the sharp points top & bottom I used a pointy Dimond grinder tip for the Dremal; then file the spiral smooth on the edges and then sanded from 180, 220, 320, 800 grits, sand sealed and spray rattle can Lacquer. All of this carving was done in my lap not on the lathe.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 11-01-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Thank you John and Dick...The finial was first turned and sanded to the outer shape then I drew the spiral making as even space as I could. Then I used a very small V shape hand carver and cut those lines as deep as I could, then went to a bit larger U shaped carver and went as far as I could. After that I had a established grove and used my Dremal w/ a small 1/8" ball cutter and penitents to remove the bulk of the center. to keep the sharp points top & bottom I used a pointy Dimond grinder tip for the Dremal; then file the spiral smooth on the edges and then sanded from 180, 220, 320, 800 grits, sand sealed and spray rattle can Lacquer. All of this carving was done in my lap not on the lathe.

Bruce
    Thanks, I want to try that. I may steal the shape of your box sometime too. I meant to ask - where did you find that wood and do they have more?!

Have you tried a carving/finishing post? I use this one (from Best Wood Tools) for both sanding and carving. The chuck threads onto the top and the piece can be rotated by hand just like on the lathe. For sanding, I think it is a LOT easier to see progress and imperfections with the piece off the lathe and in good light.

carving_stand_IMG_7422.jpg carvinig_stand_A.jpg sanding_IMG_20171212_094330_319.jpg

JKJ

I meant to ask - where did you find that wood and do they have more?
    John I was buying from a local lumber supplier (Baltimore) that was selling there off cuts but they have stopped that end of there business for some reason, I have been meaning to call or just go there but it's over an hour away from me now since I moved out of the city. I'm Really sad I was getting great deal from the guy that ran that side of the business he's a wood turner also. Feel free to use the shape, I was told on WOW it was a Umeke / Calabash but they didn't care for the lid on that form; I shoot for very different pieces thinking out side of the box no pun intended.

carving_stand_IMG_7422.jpg carvinig_stand_A.jpg sanding_IMG_20171212_094330_319.jpg

JKJ[/QUOTE]