Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax s400p 16" bandsaw question

Minimax s400p 16" bandsaw question

There is a minimax 16" s400p bandsaw for sale near me. I don't know much about these saws other than minimax has a good reputation. The saw is only 1 1/2 years old and used by a hobbiest, mainly for resawing. Do any of you have experience with this saw, and are there any issues with it? If I go look at it is there anything in particular that I should check out? The person is asking $2,600...do you think this is a fair price if it hasn't been abused?

Thanks,
    Greg

I do not know U.S. pricing for minimax,but I would not waste time posting or talking about it. If you are serious get over there with cash,QUICK. Just looked at one in Calgary yesterday $4900 Canadian.

Thanks Mike

I took delivery of my s400p about a year ago. $2900 seems like a reasonable price for such a new machine, but not a screaming deal. Check that the blade is running with the teeth off the front of the tires, make sure the upper blade guide assembly moves smoothly up/down, check the table for flatness and be sure the door interlock switches look clean and work properly. And bring a few friends to help move it, it’s a beast!

Thanks Robert

I have one. If it is in good shape, and you plan on woodworking for awhile, I think it is a fair deal. I think new they're about 3600 now.

It is arguably the best 16" saw you can buy now. Just check it over like any other used machine as there are no pattern issues with the saw. A new one will run 3600-3700 shipped so it is a decent price but not a screaming deal, if it has blades with usable life (especially carbide) it adds to the value. I would go with a stack of cash and try to get it for a couple of hundred less. As always if you wait long enough there will be a better deal but how much better and how long the wait is one never knows.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Great saw. I love mine. Got it earlier this year in Denver for $1800. It was about 5 years old and very lightly used. $2600 seems a little high to me. I'd see if the guy would take $2200.

Anytime you can save the shipping or avoid the almost a buck a mile cost of transporting yourself, you need to consider it. New machines increasingly have issues that a good condition used machine has all ready had sorted out. If the table is flat, you are ahead of a large % of new machinery so give it a quick look and if it checks out, drive it home. Dave

Man, I only dream of ever finding one of these saws used at any price.I have been looking for about 6 years,not one so far. I have all but given up and am saving up my pesos to buy one new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Man, I only dream of ever finding one of these saws used at any price.I have been looking for about 6 years,not one so far. I have all but given up and am saving up my pesos to buy one new.
    The newest version MMs (Centauro CO HD) with the tall resaw are pretty rare for sale even in much higher population density areas. But I understand your woes I have been hoping to find a Beaver 3300 (one of those little saws I just want to own and need like an extra hole in my head) for many years and living over 1000 miles south of the border you never see them around here. At some point, I am going to have to make a long road trip to get one.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van is that the 12 '' one with the holes in the casting over the wheels and the solid aluminium or something covers. Better yet just post a picture. Mike.

Van is that the 12 '' one with the holes in the casting over the wheels and the solid aluminium or something covers. Better yet just post a picture. Mike.
    Sorry for the thread jack OP, but I think you have what you need.

The 3300 is the 14" saw, the saw is cast aluminum or as you said aluminium. Honestly, there is nothing particularly special about it is just one of the saws I like the lines on and would just like to own, I would probably only use it once...

9752-A.jpgAprs-5.jpgimage_39382.jpg

The 12" you are thinking of is the 2300

27392-A.jpg

I do see those on Kijiji, probably at least 5-6 a year. I have not quite figured out the lineage of Beaver ,I know there is a tie-in with Rockwell somewhere in there.I believe they were only in Canada,eh ?

I do see those on Kijiji, probably at least 5-6 a year. I have not quite figured out the lineage of Beaver ,I know there is a tie-in with Rockwell somewhere in there.I believe they were only in Canada,eh ?
    With further apologies to the OP...

Pre-War they had a relationship with Walker Turner but Beaver was sold to Rockwell in the mid-50s. Fairly quickly most of the original Beaver line was ditched for Delta designs. They lived through all of the various Delta-Rockwell iterations until Delta was sold to Chang Type a few years ago and the Guelph operation was shut down. While they do have a small cult following I wouldn't pick up most of their machines if they were on the side of the road with a free sign on them. The bandsaws just call to me partly because I am a bandsaw nut and partly the design which has a bit of the Art Deco feel. The old Powermatic 14" and General 15" and even the ubiquitous Delta 14" saws are better IMO as saws but the Beaver 2300 and 3300 just have character. If I were Canadian and was planning a two saw small/large(r) setup in my shop I would have either a 3300 or a General 190/290/490/690.

Speaking of Art Deco a very rare option for the 190/290 saws was a cast iron base

32805-A.jpg