Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Lift Selection

Router Lift Selection

Can anyone offer some thoughts on the quality of the Jess-Em Rout-R-Lift?

I use my router table from time to time to build projects so I don’t need industrial strength, but at the same time I don’t want to buy something flimsy or otherwise de-featured to the point it might frustrate me.

The alternate is the Mast-R-Lift, that costs twice as much and does seem more heavily built.

Thanks for any insights.
    Life is too short for dull sandpaper.

I considered the Rout-R-Lift and if all you'll ever use are 3½" router motors, I think you'd be happy with it. I went with the Mast-R-Lift II and have it outfitted with the big 3¼ hp PC router. I've been very satisfied with it.

Blog Entries
    I think Brett has a typo and means 2-1/2 HP in the first phrase. One thing you don't want from a lift is any flex. Many people are happy with what look like light weight lifts. Even the Mast-R-Lift looks light compared to things like the original Woodpecker PRL's and Bench Dogs. I believe that technology may have replaced sheer mass in this arena.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn--I think Brett is referring to the motor diameter for the PC 690, Bosch 1617, Dewalt 61?, etc. Lot of 1.5 to 2.5 hp motors in that diameter. The 3 HP and up are bigger in diameter and generally will not fit the Rout-R-Lift but would fit the Mast-R-Lift.
    earl

I have the Incra with the large PC and am very happy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Glenn--I think Brett is referring to the motor diameter for the PC 690, Bosch 1617, Dewalt 61?, etc. Lot of 1.5 to 2.5 hp motors in that diameter. The 3 HP and up are bigger in diameter and generally will not fit the Rout-R-Lift but would fit the Mast-R-Lift.
    earl
    Doh! Totally missed the inch marks. Thanks
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    I have the Incra with the large PC and am very happy.
    Same here.

Love it. Bought mine as part of my Incra router table/fence combo. (Incra sells the lift as the Incra Master Lift, but I believe it is the Jessem lift, just made for Incra.) Since I also bought the PC 7518 router motor, the mounting was easy since the Jessem lift is set up for that router motor by default. However, it works for many other routers. The lift is accurate and really allows fast and precise setup for cuts. I have never been sorry. Mine works with a crank and, as far as I'm concerned, this mechanism is far superior to others in terms of accuracy and precision. Other mechanisms will allow faster raising and lowering but this one is more precise because each full circle of the crank raises or lowers the router a small increment, thus allowing more control of depth.

Blog Entries
    I have a master lift. I made a spacer for under the lift, removed two of the set screws and replaced them with bolts coming up from the bottom of the table. That stopped the annoying movement of the set screws.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

O have the Jessum Master Lift II in the table at the end of my SawStop and a standalone router cabinet with the Woodpeckers PRL V2.

I bought the Woodpeckers unit first and have used it for about 3+ years. I recently had to send it back to Woodpeckers to have the fine adjust gearing replaced. It was done free of charge other than me paying shipping one way, but it took 3 weeks from the day I UPS'd it to them to get it back. They are in OH and I'm in TN

When I added the router table to the end of min SawStop, I decided to go with the Jessum Master Lift II as that seemed to have the best reviews.

The Woodpecker does have a quick height adjustment, but honestly I think I prefer the method Jessum uses with cranking it up and down.

The Jessum has laser cut marks on the table surface that stand out a lot clearer than the idents in the aluminum plate on the Woodpeckers.

Both are sold and well built. I have a PC 7518 router in the Woodpeckers and a Bosch 1617 Jessum.

IMO the Incra is the only option I considered after comparing all of the ones available due to the magnetic inserts that offered dust collection ports. The dust collection is so good on the router table I built its awesome and those CleanSweep magnetic inserts definitely help with that.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Doh! Totally missed the inch marks. Thanks
    Sounds like something I'd do, what with old eyes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    IMO the Incra is the only option I considered after comparing all of the ones available due to the magnetic inserts that offered dust collection ports. The dust collection is so good on the router table I built its awesome and those CleanSweep magnetic inserts definitely help with that.
    While I have been quite pleased with the JessEm Mast-R-Lift, I admit that I've been eyeballing the Incra version. Incra offers the plate and inserts as a retrofit and it's on my list.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Love the CleanSweep inserts and I have the Incra fence which also aids in dust collection.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 11-01-2018 at 7:37 PM.

I have the JessEm Mast-R-Lift. I love it. This was my third router plate and lift also...

I think if you invest in a dedicated router motor ( I have the PC) and a quality lift, you'll be done with it and be glad you did.

I have the Rout-R-Lift and a Bosch 2 1?4 hp router and it works great.

Bob