Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pony Jorgensen Clamps

Barry what store in Calgary ? The ones I looked at the other day were at KMS tools.

Yes, KMS Tools.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    Here's a link to Amazon for 3/4" pipe clamps. I couldn't see it in the link from the pony site.

Thank you for posting this. I have a job coming up that requires more clamps than I own.

https://www.amazon.com/PONY-50-Clamp...pe+clamp+3%2F4
    I love how in the ad, it says "Made in the USA or imported" and "manufactured in China". I guess that means it isn't made in the USA, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I love how in the ad, it says "Made in the USA or imported" and "manufactured in China". I guess that means it isn't made in the USA, huh?
    I did notice these that these clamps are made in China. I do buy US made stuff, even if it costs mores. For example, I buy Starrett tools. If there is a similar US made clamp, I would buy it. I need clamps that can deliver a lot of force for gluing up doors and laminated posts.

TheHardwareCity web site has the 6 pac of Pony 50 3/4 for quite a bit less than they sell it on Amazon. Includes free shipping, at least to me.

Many of the Starrett tools are now made in China. Still good, IMO, just sayin'.

The assets have been purchased by Great star, based in Hangzhou, China.
    Info from link below.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/gr...clamp-company/
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Thanks Dave. A good article on the demise and resurrection of Pony Jorgensen.
    Cheers,
    Barry

Rockler has these on sale now 2 6 inch and 2 12 inch for 25$. I don't need these small ones but those HD look pretty damn sexy. I might buy 2 to test in near future I have a clamp fetish and want to have nice looking clamps. I'm debating these or some clutchless Bessey but 2 1/2 inch throat depth not the 4 inch since these are smaller and just lighter .
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-T...4-2K/205402804
    anyone has used these?

I bought 10 new pipe clamps (Pony) 3/4'' ,they are pretty well exactly like the U.S. made ones except the handles are slightly thicker. I am sure they will be around and useable long after I am gone.Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Many of the Starrett tools are now made in China. Still good, IMO, just sayin'.
    I agree, they started by making stuff in North Carolina decades ago. Now they make stuff in Brazil and China. They still make a lot of stuff in Athol, Massachusetts. I don't know how many people work there, but I know a lot of people that have worked there for years.

Starrett's.jpg

I bought all the Jorgensen and pony clamps I could find locally back when I heard US production shut down. Ended up with a few of the Chinese ones in the swoop. They're ok. Definitely better than the Besseys I have which feature porous castings and voids on the inside surfaces. The actual US Jorgensens had the finest finish on the castings but the Chinese ones seem to be an attempt at maintaining a slightly upscale offering compared to the Besseys. The 3/4" HD Pro pipe clamps are a bit cumbersome to me with their heavy separate feet but once again, slightly better quality castings compared to the other Chinese clamps on the market. I like the new plastic handled bar clamps, the bars are not plated as nice as the US ones but the heads and screw threads are ok. The fatter plastic handles are more comfortable in my hand than the wood ones are. I've always preferred the Bessey clamp pads, the US Jorgensen ones were too soft and the new Chinese ones are the same. Nonetheless, I personally have a shop full of orange clamps with a couple of red ones here and there FWIW.

I would hope they are of better quality but their new aluminum bar clamps look identical to Harbor Freight's.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

This is the response I received, when I asked.

Hello,
    In what country are the most recent clamps being manufactured?
    And, who owns Pony Jorgensen currently?
    Thank You,
    Ed

The Pony Jorgensen line is manufactured in China. We are owned by GreatStar.

VonMari Vargas
    Customer Service Lead
    271 Mayhill Street, Saddle Brook, NJ 07663
    T. 201-843-6900 Ext. 267
    F. 201-843-3911