Thread: Some recent bottle stoppers

Some recent bottle stoppers

These are some stoppers I made with the new and older Ruth Niles hardware. I took these to Italy the end of September to give as presents. (The security inspector at the airport asked me if I had some concrete anchors or somesuch in the backpack - I offered to give him one but he said it wasn't permitted, although I could tell he really wanted one!)

These are made from ebony, zebra wood, osage orange, dogwood, tulip rosewood, olive, cocobolo, persimmon, and cherry (I think).

The two standing made from olive with the new hardware were made from a piece of olive wood an Italian friend gave to me on the last trip, so I made those to take to him!

JKJ

Very nice John! What finish do you use? CA?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Very nice John! What finish do you use? CA?
    Thanks, Ken!

Most are finished with multiple coats of "danish" oil applied over a couple of weeks then buffed. The ebony and rosewood stoppers are just buffed, no finish. For past stoppers I've also used CA and TruOil.

JKJ

I do really like those John! Which stopper hardware do you like best?
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Of the three types Ruth Niles sells, I like the two newer styles with the flat bottoms since you can stand them upright. With more "O" rings they fit more bottles. I've been testing when I can find bottles and so far the 5-O-ring fits the the most bottles. I do like the shape of the original, conical style.

In case anyone is interested: For wood, I buy stopper hardware with the 3/8" threaded stud on the top and drill and tap a hole in the wood. I took this photo a long time ago with one on the lathe almost ready to turn around, mount on a threaded mandrel, and finish the top. This style can be finished by hand without the mandrel but it really helps with some shapes.

stopper_PB144068_comp_s.jpg

Ruth sells a mandrel that threads on the lathe spindle.

JKJ

Beautiful work John, I'm sure they were a big hit in Italy. I haven't yet tried to turn a stopper but was looking at the Niles website yesterday and plan to give it a try. Maybe come up with a few holiday gifts

Those are very nice and pleasing shapes. Looks like the shapes are ergonomic as well as visually attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wagner View Post
    Those are very nice and pleasing shapes. Looks like the shapes are ergonomic as well as visually attractive.
    Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I keep a big variety of wood on hand so it's easy for me to grab some pieces with interesting color and figure. The stoppers were well received. Woodturning as a craft seems to be rare in the part of Italy where we were.

Mike, as I turn the shape I see if I like the feel. Years ago I got some criticism about one with a sharp point on the top - they guy said someone would be injured when popping the stopper into the bottle with his hand. We told him that unlike a cork, the hardware on these goes into the bottle easily with the barest twist!

JKJ

Beautiful as usual John. I do have a question about the new five ring style. Do they sit proud on a wine bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Beautiful as usual John. I do have a question about the new five ring style. Do they sit proud on a wine bottle?
    Thanks! They do sit higher on the wine bottles I've tried but I don't remember them looking bad. Headed out to the VA symposium, I can take some photos of how the different stoppers look when attached. I've collected a variety of bottles for testing!

BTW, I came back from Italy with some alabaster wine stoppers with cork glued on the bottom. I'm prying off the cork to try my hand at drilling and reshaping the alabaster. I also brought back a good-sized piece of alabaster to try turning.

JKJ

Not to take over John's thread but here is my first attempt at turning some bottle stoppers and first time giving anything made by my own hands as Christmas gifts. They don't show the skill and elegance of John's turnings but I'm happy with them and look forward to gifting them. The only display idea that I could come up with is a bowl that is also one of my early attempts. The smaller one is made out of Olive harvested over a year ago, which has relevance to the person it's going to because of our combined efforts to pickle some homegrown Olives.
    Bottlestoppers 002.jpgBottlestoppers 003.jpg

Nothing wrong with those - looking good! Is the large one in the first photo buckeye burl?
    Have you looked into the Ruth Niles stopper hardware made from stainless steel? I like the feel of the extra weight (but they do cost more.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Not to take over John's thread but here is my first attempt at turning some bottle stoppers and first time giving anything made by my own hands as Christmas gifts. They don't show the skill and elegance of John's turnings but I'm happy with them and look forward to gifting them. The only display idea that I could come up with is a bowl that is also one of my early attempts. The smaller one is made out of Olive harvested over a year ago, which has relevance to the person it's going to because of our combined efforts to pickle some homegrown Olives.
    Bottlestoppers 002.jpgBottlestoppers 003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nothing wrong with those - looking good! Is the large one in the first photo buckeye burl?
    Have you looked into the Ruth Niles stopper hardware made from stainless steel? I like the feel of the extra weight (but they do cost more.)
    Yes, it's Buckeye Burl. All of the blanks and stoppers were purchased at Craft Supplies. I didn't know about the Ruth Niles hardware, otherwise I would've chosen the one on your stoppers, which look great. I tried an assortment of stoppers for my first attempt. For the least expensive option I like the silicon type best. The plain cork just doesn't look like it belongs on a nice turning.