Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Annunciator/Alarm/Alert

Shop Annunciator/Alarm/Alert

I want to lock my shop door when I’m inside working on the lathe, etc. to ensure I don’t get surprised and have an accident when someone comes in. Just wondering if any of you have something like this? If so, I’d appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Martin
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

For the much same reason I bought a wireless door bell that lights up and pulses in addition to chiming. I have 2 in the shop and I can see one or the other from just about anywhere in the shop. That way I don't have someone walking up behind me when I'm using the saw or band saw or router table, etc.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Thanks, Bill. Nice, simple solution!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Harbor Fright (yikes) has a driveway annunciator that is typically on sale for between $15 and 20. It goes through a 9V battery three times a year and a pair of C or D cells once every 2 years. It uses a motion sensor to trigger it. It works well but occasionally falses if a bird flies in front of it. But the falses are infrequent.

Don't lock your door when you are working in there if there is a medical emergency EMS may need to get in fast.

My light switches are right next to the door. My family knows to flip one set of lights on and off a couple of times if they come in while it's loud. My lighting is set up so I won't be in the dark regardless of where I am and which switch they use.

Thanks, Brice. I will check with them!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Sidley View Post
    Don't lock your door when you are working in there if there is a medical emergency EMS may need to get in fast.
    Good point, thanks!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

I think I can find something there for sure- thanks!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Sounds like a really good practice. We’ll start that today. Thanks!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    My light switches are right next to the door. My family knows to flip one set of lights on and off a couple of times if they come in while it's loud. My lighting is set up so I won't be in the dark regardless of where I am and which switch they use.
    I tried that with my 4 year old grandson. Very carefully explained the policy. He was so careful in the practice session.

Now he runs out there, flips every switch off and runs away as fast as he can in the opposite direction!

Sometimes, with me chasing him as fast as I can waddle!

PS. I'm electronically inclined, so I've built simple microwave RF detectors that are placed over the entrance doors. Folks announce themselves. The advantage is that these detect pets, too. Ever had a dog poke your ankle with its nose?

PPS. I've also used the old X-10 type of device, but they are kind of irritating at times.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lawrence View Post
    I tried that with my 4 year old grandson. Very carefully explained the policy. He was so careful in the practice session.

Now he runs out there, flips every switch off and runs away as fast as he can in the opposite direction!

Sometimes, with me chasing him as fast as I can waddle!

PS. I'm electronically inclined, so I've built simple microwave RF detectors that are placed over the entrance doors. Folks announce themselves. The advantage is that these detect pets, too. Ever had a dog poke your ankle with its nose?

PPS. I've also used the old X-10 type of device, but they are kind of irritating at times.
    Paul, I’m interested in knowing more about your setup. Can/would you share?
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lawrence View Post

PS. I'm electronically inclined, so I've built simple microwave RF detectors that are placed over the entrance doors. Folks announce themselves.
    How about using motion detector from a outdoor flood lamp to trigger either a light, or alarm when someone enters shop?

Well, you want your trigger mechanism to only find additional occupants and not irritate you all day.

I have these little microwave transceivers that only have about a 20 foot range, but I don't care. I put one at the top of my door pointing to the floor. You can narrow the beam so it won't trigger unless someone goes under it. Unfortunately for you folks, I put my stuff together myself.

Really, even the outdoor flood lamp detectors will work if you do the same with them. Put "blinders" around them and point them down like mine. Shine the lamps out into your shop. You might see them.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI