Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cheapskate challenge

The cheapskate challenge

I admit it, I am a cheapskate. Heck, I am proud of it. All my life I have made my money stretch.

Today, I ate lunch at Wendy's. They have a sale going...any size fries for $1. They do not have senior discounts, but do have free senior drinks. I also buy a $2 keychain tag in January that gives me a free small frosty with any purchase all year.

Today's lunch was a chicken BLT sandwich for $1.69, large fry for $1, free senior Coke, and free small frosty. Sandwich, fries, drink, and dessert. Total with tax was $2.90.

Can you beat that?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Perhaps not for price, but maybe for nutrition.

Tonight we had half a $7 BJ's rotisserie chicken and $1.50 worth of broccoli for dinner; and will have the other half tomorrow night. So that is $2.12/meal.

Blog Entries
    Why waste time growing vegetables when you could save time by just eating dirt?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You’re opening up a can of socioeconomic worms.

Two hotdogs with sauerkraut for $1.00 at Sheetz. Sometimes I even buy the small soda for 69 cents. On Sundays, I drive to Sheetz for the Sunday paper and take the dog. He gets one hot dog minus the sauerkraut. He knows what is at Sheetz and if he is with me other times and we drive past on the way somewhere, he wimpers and carries on.

The true skin flint of all time was a woman I worked with 20 years ago. She would take rolls of TP from public restrooms, wads of napkins from restaurants, ketchup, mustard and salt and pepper packs. Plastic cutlery, etc. At the time she was only 28 yrs old. She would pull into a gas station and use their stuff to clean her windows and then drive out. She shopped at Goodwill outlets for clothes, etc. But she bought her own home and had it paid free and clear by the time she was 27.

$1.50 for a foot long 'dog and a refillable soft drink at Costco...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Built a 6 metre x 5 metre extension to the shed for $24 - logs in the round from the bush and recycled corrugated sheeting. The $24 was for roofing screws, nails and bracing strap. It will last 50 years at least judging by the original shed and I used the same timber species. Food comes from the garden. It costs maybe $300 a year to pump for irrigation and maybe 6 hours a week to maintain it. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Two hotdogs with sauerkraut for $1.00 at Sheetz. Sometimes I even buy the small soda for 69 cents. On Sundays, I drive to Sheetz for the Sunday paper and take the dog. He gets one hot dog minus the sauerkraut. He knows what is at Sheetz and if he is with me other times and we drive past on the way somewhere, he wimpers and carries on.
    You are a monster! You would feed your dog a $0.50 hotdog?!?! I would call your county humane society, but your location is secret. Typical.

Blog Entries
    Yes. I am in the Dominican Republic this week. Exchange rate 50:1. Living like a king in a deluxe suite on the 23rd floor with the most amazing view for $160 a night and breakfast and evening happy hour included. If you want a cheap vacation, this is a good place to start.

Then there are those that would say cheap junk food is by far the most expensive and overpriced food you could possibly eat:
    Over the long run.
    Assuming your body is priceless and irreplaceable.
    Even if they gave it to you for free.

Sorry but you deserve better, man
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 10-31-2018 at 7:27 PM.

Don't look at me, my breakfast/lunch/brunch is an apple (figure 6 oz. @ $1.69/lb. so 63˘) and a granola bar --- currently working my way through a box of Gatorade brand ones which were on sale, a box of 12 for $4.44, so 37˘ and a I drink green tea at work, having given up coffee save for social occasions or when traveling ($4.99 for a box of 100).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    $1.50 for a foot long 'dog and a refillable soft drink at Costco...
    That's one of my favorites. Sometimes with a slice of Pizza.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We do "2 for 1 Tuesdays" at our local movie theatre courtesy of AT&T.

Blog Entries
    All that money you're saving will be lost in medical expenses. I can't remember the last time I ate fast food.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Yes. I am in the Dominican Republic this week. Exchange rate 50:1. Living like a king in a deluxe suite on the 23rd floor with the most amazing view for $160 a night and breakfast and evening happy hour included. If you want a cheap vacation, this is a good place to start.
    For me, $160 per night is farrrr from a cheap vacation. For a cheap vacation I pack my tent and sleeping bag. LOL