Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a replacement DW780 Miter Saw blade

Recommendations for a replacement DW780 Miter Saw blade

I'm looking to replace the original OEM blade on my DW780. Should I just stick to the OEM replacement or is there a better blade.

The OEM one is still cutting nicely, but it feels like it's taking a little more effort.

I would lean towards a finer quality cut than more of a contractor grade 2x4 framing type cut.

Or should I go with two different blades.

Thanks

I have several blades for my CSMS but tend to just use two. I have an old Freud, not even sure what it is, for construction grade cutting and although I am not a full-on Forrest fanboy I absolutely love my ChopMaster Signature Line blade but they aren't cheap...

My suggestion have the OEM sharpened for 2x cutting and get a better blade for finer work, OR if you were fully happy with the OEM blade just get it sharpened and keep doing what you have been doing. If you do decide you want other recommendations give us a budget to help people hone in on what is the best value at your pricepoint.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries

I never spent any time trying to figure out why, but those Dewalt blades always feel like you have to push down harder than normal, even after being freshly sharpened. I still use the one that came on my 708 for rough cutting, and it's been sharpened several times. At least it cuts clean, with no burning, even when the pushing required feels like it has to be as dull as a butter knife.

Blog Entries
    I have the 60 tooth Freud Diablo one from HD. It’s about $50 I think. A lot nicer cuts than a framing blade probably just by virtue of tooth count. I’m sure if your willing to spend a lot more you can get something a lot nicer. Depends what it’ll be used for.

also, I don’t know if your saw is a 10” or 12”. I was referring to a 10, so if it’s for twelve probable The 80 tooth is comparable.

Despite how a blade (or bit) looks...every cut leaves a little sap/tar/gunk on the blade--the additional drag makes the blade feel dull. Try cleaning (I use the Bit & Blade cleaner from Trend--and like it. It's not cheap, but a bottle lasts a long time). Beyond that, i'm with Van--not a huge Forrest fan in general, but really like my Chopmaster. The stock blade from Dewalt is decent for its intended use--which is how I try to use it.
    earl

My ChopMaster keeps on kicking despite how I've abused it over the years....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A lot depends on what you will be cutting, and you haven't told us this.

Charley

Budget is not an issue, I will try cleaning my existing blade, I do have the Trend cleaner. I currently have a couple of Forrest blades for my SawStop and like those.

I'd just like to get a good quality blade. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Budget is not an issue,
    Top of the line industrial blades:
    FS Tool LM 4300 or Royce Ayr 16120801

I've been rather happy with the tenryu MP-305100CB at only $100

These are all full kerf heavy plate miter specific blades and the FS or Royce make more sense in a Omga than a dewalt, but they are the top of the line.

If you choose to go with the ChopMaster, Silver's Mill quite often has the best prices on Forrest products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Forrest ChopMaster user here. Only blade I need on my miter saw. I do keep a cheap blade around for cutting construction lumber on the rare occasion I need to, but 99% of the time its my ChopMaster on there!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Bought the Forrest Chopmaster, $165 from Rockler, no tax and free shipping.

I like the Forrest saw blades and have used their sharpening service, which was quick and flawless.

I love my Forrest Chopmaster. I have used most of the other brand name blades, but if I had to buy one today it would be a Chopmaster.

Assuming your saw is 12", try the Diablo 96 tooth from HD. You have 90 days to decide if you really like it. That's like someone lending you a NEW blade for 90 days. Check Cripe Distributing and see what they currently offer.