Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my router - Advice

Upgrading my router - Advice

I am looking to upgrade my router. Currently I have a Ryobi 1.5hp and am looking for a better router. I currently do not have a router table, but would like to build one once I get a new router.

I would also like to use this router for both edge finishing/design and potentially router sled to flatten live edge lumber larger than my planer.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
    Nick

One of the multi-base kits from your brand of choice would be a good way to upgrade to more capability and flexibility. These are typically "2.5 hp" rated routers and can handle all but the largest cutters in a table and for your stated slab work for flattening. I personally prefer a heavier, dedicated machine in the table, but if you want "just one" to do most anything, these kits have a lot of value. Although I have embraced the Festool routers for a lot of what I use these tools for, I also enjoy the Dewalt DW618 kit that I've had for many years, especially for the fixed base which I use for dovetail work and some other things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Exclamation Two routers

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mazzino View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my router. Currently I have a Ryobi 1.5hp and am looking for a better router. I currently do not have a router table, but would like to build one once I get a new router.

I would also like to use this router for both edge finishing/design and potentially router sled to flatten live edge lumber larger than my planer.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
    Nick
    I always have two routers. One small and one bigger. The smaller (around 1HP) is for light work as trim, inlays, free hand sign or some small grooves, the bigger one (2-3HP) is for heavy duty jobs. Both can be mounted at a router table.

I updated my 20-25 year old routers last year mainly for variable speed and multibase: I went for the small Makita RT0701CX3 kit with four different bases replacing my small Porter Cable 690 and Bosch 1600CE (MRP23EVSK at the USA) with two bases replacing my old Hitachi TR12. The small Makita came with 6mm, 1/4" and 8mm collets and the bigger Bosch came with 1/4", 12mm and 1/2" - I use the 12mm with a permanent sleeve to 8mm as most of my router bits are 8mm shank, the heavy ones are 1/2" and there are a few with 6mm and 1/4" but none 12mm shank. These routers are the perfect combo for me.

All the best,
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 10-30-2018 at 5:46 PM. Reason: Edited to add hiper link

In the table, and for that slab work, you're looking for power, 3+ hp. You might not use that much in the beginning, but you'll eventually arrive there.
    Once you mount a router in a table, you won't want to be removing it constantly. You'll eventually end up with multiple routers, everyone does.
    I've used a lot of routers over the years and, probably have 6,or 7 in the shop right now, but the "best" ,hands down, is the Festool OF2200. I'm not a Festool fanboy, nor believe that I have "drunk the green koolaid". It simply is the best router I have ever used. I don't think it lends itself to table mount easily, at least I've never tried. I have a shaper for the "router table" type work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The first question is what is your budget?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Van's got it. Your budget will fine tune our answers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a Porter Cable 7518 in my router table. It is probably 10-15 years old now so not sure if the quality of the current 7518 model is as good. Not saying it is not as good, just do not know. I also have a PC 690 (I think), 2 festool routers and a Bosch trim router. I wish I had another few routers but not in the cards.

The router table has a lift. I highly recommend it, so suggest when planning for your table that you also think about a lift. It makes adjustments so much easier. There are various threads that discuss different brand lifts, there are several that are high quality.

I keep a Dewalt 618 (with a Jessum lift) in my table 99.8% of the time. It works well for me. I also have a Bosch Colt trim router with various bases I've made that I use for most handheld work. I'm happy with both since making the bases for the Colt.

Van Huskey got it right 'bout your budget.

probably be in your best interest to visit the local tools stores and handle what routers they have. You'll soon find what router(s) does/does not fit your grip, have easy controls, etc.

As for a router table, a dedicated router is the way to go. My table sports about a 25 year Porter-Cable 7518 --a real work horse.

Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to check a few options out at my local woodworking store. Looks like I will end up going with one dedicated for my router table.

There is no better router, there is only another router.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mazzino View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to check a few options out at my local woodworking store. Looks like I will end up going with one dedicated for my router table.
    If you are going for a dedicated table router just get the motor, no base(s). Removing it is a little bit of a pain.

There is no better router, there is only another router.
    +1.
    Every time something "interesting" ( a project or task you want to do) comes along, it seems like it calls for something you can't do with your current router.
    Since there are many excellent choices out there, I'll just list a few things to look for.

- 1/4" & 1/2" collets.
    - Above table features - (Milwaukee & Triton are good examples)
    - Ability to accept Porter Cable inserts.
    - If limited to just one router, get a plunge.
    - DO NOT dispose of your old router(s). Eventually something will come along where you need it (them).
    - When the decision comes along, where you try to decide between getting a router, table, lift and fence - - really ascertain your needs because a shaper may be the better choice. A shaper can often do what a router can but a router can't do what a shaper can do.
    - Don't jump right in and build a "Norm router table" until you find out how you're going to use your router table. I have to roll my table out into the driveway. I made a "twin tower" table right off the bat. While it's mobile, it's not all that stable. I'd love to make myself a "norm table", but, that's not going to happen because of the need to roll it out in the driveway.

As an FYI - I have a PC 690, a 1.5HP Ryobi in a Ryobi table ( I use it all the time on job sites), a Milwaukee 5625 3.5 HP in my table, a DeWalt 611 PK, a Dremel plunge router attachment, a Dremel "table" attachment and an old Craftsman 1.5 HP.
    I'd like to add something like a 2.X HP plunge at some point.

Good luck & FWIW - Triton offers an excellent large plunge router for an excellent price. I prefer my Milwaukee 5625, but, only because I like Milwaukee tools.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Your quest to get a new router turned into a quest for 3 new routers. I have two, and want at least two more.

Been gone a long time, but now that I retired from the school system after 34 years as a teacher/AP/Principal, I'm getting back in to woodworking. As for routers I started small then things kind of exploded after hooking up with the late Pat Warner. So what I ended up with is this:

Trim router - Bosch PR20
    Small - PC 690
    Multi-base kits - DW 618PK & PC 893
    Medium Plunge - DW 621
    Heavy Plunge - DW 625
    Table Router - Milwaukee 5625

I would recommend a multi-base kit and the DW621. These will cover most of your needs until you want another one.