Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Tool Storage

Lathe Tool Storage

I am struggling trying to come up with a good plan/design for my lathe tool storage. I’ve looked at many different approaches on Pinterest, etc., but haven’t found what looks like a really good way to do it. I’d be very interested in seeing pictures of the ways you guys do it. I want something that is accessible and safe (for the tool edges and people). I currently have a couple dozen tools of varying lengths.
    Thanks,
    Martin
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

I have to store my lathe tools and tooling in a very compact space and it has to be mobile for use. I took inspiration from a 2011 tool cart by B. Loitz of the Glendale Woodturners and built this one. It is safe for tool edges and very versatile but not so safe for people due to the exposed sharp edges. I don't have any small children around, so this works for me. If I had the luxury of a dedicated space and a nearby wall, I'd prefer a wall mounted rack.

IMGP3533.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks, Dick! That looks very functional and compact! I have quite a bit of space, but not a lot of wall space. Thanks again for sending. Gives many a lot of ideas.
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

For what it's worth, the tools I use the most are on an easel type arrangement on top a rolling tool cart. I use two magnetic strips about 5 inches apart running parallel horizontally to hold the tools. with edges up. I can roll the cart closer or further away depending on what I am turning, and when I use one of the other lathes, I just roll the cart to the other lathe.

Talking Turning Center

vcm_s_kf_repr_832x624 (44).jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penning View Post
    I am struggling trying to come up with a good plan/design for my lathe tool storage. I’ve looked at many different approaches on Pinterest, etc., but haven’t found what looks like a really good way to do it. I’d be very interested in seeing pictures of the ways you guys do it. I want something that is accessible and safe (for the tool edges and people). I currently have a couple dozen tools of varying lengths.
    Thanks,
    Martin

This works for me. Tools are stored sharp ends down, box o bottom holds chucks, revolving center and misc items. The cart is on wheels so it can easily be moved to where I want to use it or to clean under it. Note it was made with extra spaces for new additional tools. Its taken a while but almost all are now filled. Good luck with your decision.
    Ray

Very nice, Ray! That looks great. Roughly, what are the overall dimensions?
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Thanks, Perry. That’s a good idea
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

In my own humble opinion, whenever I make a tool holder it will initially hold all of my tools, but after 6 months, it only holds 90 % of my tools. A year later it holds 80% of my tools, etc.

I don't worry about "safe". I want the tools with the points up or out or otherwise easily visible. If I only had a few tools I might store them differently. I do put plastic tubing protectors over every Hunter tool tip since the cutters are easily chipped.

Most of those I use the most are on the wall by the lathe at the very right of the first picture (and with my assistant with the rack under construction);

lathe_PM_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg tool_rack.jpg

The tools are on a piece of plywood with a wooden frame behind to stiffen. To make the hangers I used long deck screws with a piece of clear plastic tubing on each screw to cushion. The screws are easy to reposition as my tool "collection" evolves. This rack has been the best of all the other things I've tried over the years since I can instantly see and grab the tool I want.

Don't have a photo but I store a bunch of scrapers, parting tools, unhandled bowl gouges, and texture tools flat on a stack of shallow wooden shelves. I put them in the shelves with the handle back and the points out so I can easily see what is what. I've never run my hand into the points. The shelves are on top of a cabinet with drawers that hold my chucks and things and on top of the stack is a machinist''s toolbox with small drawer for live centers, hones, saws, calipers, and other small tools. All this is about two steps from the lathe.

Tools without handles are in a shallow drawer in the workbench just behind me when I stand at the lathe, some Hunter tools and Thompson spindle gouges. These go into handles as needed. I don't have a good photo but this photo of a spare tool insert shows some of the gouges (I keep multiples sharpened alike and swap them out when they get dull):

insert_spare.jpg

Large bowl gouges in handles are in a vertical rack under the same workbench.

Rarely used tools are kept in some sturdy Craftsman plastic boxes sold to store under a truck seat.

Tools that I never plan on using again are stored in other people's shops.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    Nice arrangement and great looking Type 1 Workmate.
    Dick Mahany.

This is my storage for a few tools which I also quickly out grew. 1-1/4" (I think) PVC cap and couplers on the ends of the PVC. Not really "cheap", the caps prevent falling through and the coupler keeps the tops at the same distance apart so the pipes dont tilt together. Filled gaps with expanding foam so they never will come out again. I also prefer tips down. Put a wad of newspaper to prevent the tips from hitting the PVC. Or you can wait and they fill up with chips anyways. Now I use it to bring a known amount of tool when I demonstrate something. If a space is empty, I know I need to find a tool.

I know it's not advised to have the tools pointing up in storage. I'm not sure I could select the right tool by looking at the handle. How do you do that?

Thanks, Dwight. Looks good!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Thanks, John. You have a very well organized and thought out shop! Looks really good and your assistant looks like a fine one!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO