Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric outlet in workshop ceiling

Ebay

For $80 including shipping, you can get (6) used strips, and that's just 1 set of auctions I saw. I've found Ebay to be a good place to snag stuff cheap, as long as you're patient and careful about how shipping costs fit into the equation.

I realize this is an old thread, I need a drop from the ceiling for my planer. It's a 220 20 amps. I am using a cable strain relief but I am not sure how to pass it through the sheetrock on the ceiling? Do I just drill a whole and drop it through? I'd like to surface mount the box in the ceiling, but it seems that code doesn't allow you to hang the strain relief from the cover plate (does it)? Thus I have the box mounted sideways on a rafter and the strain relief coming out of one of the side holes. It works fine, but next week I am going to sheet rock and I am stumped. Does anybody have a picture of how it works?

I used a square (4 by 4) metal work box mounted to the side of the truss. Found a metal cover plate with a knockout that worked for the strain relief (Chinese finger cuffs). The plate is more or less flush with the drywall. Not the prettiest thing but it was inspected and passed. (The first inspection I didn't have the strain relief and the inspector pointed it out and required that it be installed.)

Im not an electrician so I can't say it's all perfect to code. I just know it worked for me and was inspected.