Thread: texturing tool

texturing tool

thinking about getting a texturing tool but I have seen several different brands,,can anyone point me in the right direction on which one they prefer and why,,,thank you

I have owned both the full sized and micro Sorby and much prefer the micro. Buy the set so you get three wheels. Very versatile tool. Then, the Wagner or similar knurling tool.

Left click my name for homepage link.

A lot depends on what kind of texture you want to make - there are many options.

Here are some I use:

texturing_tools_IMG_4955.jpg

The one I use the most is a simple pointed star wheel. I used to use Sorby's but I use the smaller custom one at the bottom (shown with a spare) more.

The little Sorby set with the red handle is probably a good choice since it comes with several wheels. However, my favorite, the sharp pointed star has to be purchased separately for some reason.

JKJ

Actually, you can buy the set without the handle that includes all three wheels -https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ol-4-Piece-Set

The handle can be purchased separately or you can make one or use an existing handle if you have an extra. Unlike JKJ the pointed star texturing wheel is my least favorite. I use the larger tooth spiraling wheel almost exclusively. I think it is far more versatile and will produce a variety of patterns.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ...Unlike JKJ the pointed star texturing wheel is my least favorite. I use the larger tooth spiraling wheel almost exclusively. I think it is far more versatile and will produce a variety of patterns.
    I do use the spiraling wheel, usually on end grain, and it will make some great textures. I like the pointed star wheel for spindles.

oven_stick_handles_both_IMG.jpg alex_wand_c.jpg morse_taper_IMG_5054.jpg

(I should take some closeup pictures some time - the patterns can be amazing.)

If buying my first texture tool I'd get one with both the spiraling and pointed wheels. (I like the knurling tool too but I don't know of a texturing tool that also has a knurling wheel.)

JKJ