Thread: Help sourcing some design work

Help sourcing some design work

Hello all. I have a need for a mechanical iris like the images posted. Doing some limited checking around here locally and having trouble finding someone capable of doing this for me. The original poster on the Fusion 360 site is MIA. My skills in Fusion are not yet up to the task. So posting to see if someone can point me in the right direction to have it done.

Opening would be +- 12 inches with the gearing cut from aluminum or plastic and the trim pieces from aluminium I would polish. Wood parts from mahogany which I would provide. Really just need the parts cut so I can assemble.

Can someone point me to someone who might be able to do this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Michael Mezalick
    https://carveddetails.com
    mm@mezalick.com

or

Brady Watson
    ibild.com
    IBILDSolutions@gmail.com
    856-367-1189
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you Jim!

What are you looking to have done? Do you have the fusion file? It is easy to convert into different formats. It looks like four pieces and some standoffs. Anyone will need to start with a dimensioned drawing of some sort. I would start with sketching out the requirements.

I will go ahead and draw a vector of it and try and get someone local with a CNC machine. I do not have a fusion file- that would make things simple.

As you can imagine, it is pretty challenging to extract flat/planar shapes that are accurate from the skewed/angled photos you've provided while maintaining any degree of accuracy. It's certainly not impossible - but it IS time consuming. Probably more than someone wants to spend to do properly. However, these types of iris designs are really not that exotic and there is a mind-boggling number of them with templates available if you do a quick search on Google Images. These have been popular with the CNC router guys for the past 10-12 years, so there's really nothing new under the sun in 2018.

I would think that you could pull down one of the designs offered via the net and choose one of those as a basis for your design - and then modify the design as required. For instance, the outer ring gear & knob may not be present on a design with the proper iris components, but you could easily add them in as you see fit. In fact, this design via Make, appears to be pretty close in function to what you show & Chris Schaie was nice enough to provide a download link for the CAD files...It's even shown mounted in a door & in use! Can't get much easier than that!

Have a look & let us know how you make out.
    IBILD High Resolution 3D Scanning Services

I see a few of these mechanical iris's on grabcad. If you find one there and need it converted to something else, post it, and I can do so for many different formats.

https://grabcad.com/library/mechanical-iris-6

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I've found one and downloaded the files. Will try and find someone around who can cut the parts now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I see a few of these mechanical iris's on grabcad. If you find one there and need it converted to something else, post it, and I can do so for many different formats.

https://grabcad.com/library/mechanical-iris-6
    Thanks Brad. There are a couple of good ones there. I have Fusion 360 and can use them.