Thread: Will a wooden disc golf disc fly? Youtube answers the question.

Will a wooden disc golf disc fly? Youtube answers the question.

I play a round or two a week of disc golf with my wife's grandfather and actually grown to enjoy it more than ball golf so it made sense that Youtube found the convergence of disc golf and woodworking for me...

For any of the guys that also have a laser engraver selling these as trophies for tournaments might work out well. There are quite a few of them all over the country.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 10-29-2018 at 8:50 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I made an exact copy of a competition Frisbee out of some scrap Microlam many years ago and it flew just fine. A bit heavier that the plastic version though.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I have seen several variations. I always wonder how long before they land and split along the grain lines.... My of doing if I ever get 'a round 2 it' would be to use cabinet grade plywood for the top, and maybe a special laminated rim where I make a circle then fit the lid/top into it...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I always wonder how long before they land and split along the grain lines....

robo hippy
    Trees would get one fairly quickly. Unlike ball golf trees are much more in play in disc golf. It isn't unusual to be throwing off the tee into a 15' wide tunnel in the woods or looking down a fairway that looks just like a fairly well-manicured forest. Even the professional disc golfers hit trees on a regular basis. There are 100s of different discs manufactured each having a different flight pattern (so some people carry as many as 30-40 discs to play a round) and hitting trees etc actually causes the flight pattern to change (usually getting more understable) so people will often carry multiple of the same disc in different levels of "beat in". Unlike losing a golf ball losing a well beat in disc that you love can be traumatic since you can't just buy a new one.

In the end it was just an interesting intersection of two things I do.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

5. "Even the professional disc golfers hit trees on a regular basis."

I grew up (ok, questionable, but it was a long, long time ago) at the beach in S. Cal, so frisbee is a way of life. I can throw one flat, straight and accurate. But, professional? Tell me it ain't so Maynard.

Disc golf has become a huge sport, and there are professionals. That may be more like me being a professional wood worker. I make some money from it, but don't support myself with it. The early disc golfers started we footbag kickers (aka Hacky Sack) playing footbag golf. Same idea, but smaller course. I can still kick par or under, but it declined in popularity. Same idea, bunch of footbags, drivers, putters, and chippers. Hardest thing to do is maintain concentration for the whole 18 holes. There is also football/soccer golf. Not sure how popular that is.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Schoenleber View Post
    "Even the professional disc golfers hit trees on a regular basis."

I grew up (ok, questionable, but it was a long, long time ago) at the beach in S. Cal, so frisbee is a way of life. I can throw one flat, straight and accurate. But, professional? Tell me it ain't so Maynard.

To keep a modicum of salient turning content there is one other area a production tuner could make some money in this realm is minis. We use little discs shaped the same as throwing discs to mark our lies, they are roughly 4" in diameter and I found that in the past disc golfers that were also turners made and sold them. Just a thought, mainly to stay generally on topic.

Yes, there are professional disc golfers, the majority of them have just basic equipment sponsorships and make maybe enough money to cover their travel, beer and tourney fees. The upper level touring pros can make a solid living maybe 80-120K with purses and cash sponsorships. The greatest disc golfer of this era Paul McBeth is switching sponsors as I type and likely will get a $1 million dollar per year sponsorship from his new team.

Youtube has been a big help in growing the sport since disc golf is rarely televised even on one of the never watched plethora of ESPN channels. Now the tourneys are filmed with solid commentary and put on youtube, I actually watch a decent number of tournaments and far more than I ever did ball golf even though I played for 20+ years. Shot shaping/creativity and course management is a far more complex part of disc golf than ball golf so watching the pros has done far more for my game than it ever did with ball golf.

If anyone is interested in wasting a few minutes this is arguably the best pro round ever played. Note this course is very long but also very open compared to a lot of more technical courses (ain't nearly as many trees).

Wouldn’t want to use a wooden one for extreme frisbee��
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution