Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riving dry, rough dimensioned lumber

Could someone please teach me about why we rive wood like this? I know that it's done for certain furniture, but not why.
    1. For example, what is the advantage in riving wood for the legs of a table or desk?
    2. Likewise, if it's a really good thing to do, why don't more of us do it - maybe because it wastes more wood.

I'm just ignorant on riving and would like to learn a little without having to go read a green-wood woodworking book.

Thanks everyone!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    It's for strength, wood is strongest when the fibers are continuous. If you make a part where it needs to be steam bent, needs to flex in use, or needs to be thin it's important to have continuous fibers.

Breaks in wooden furniture parts are most often in areas of 'short grain' or areas where there is a runout in the short grain.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    It's for strength, wood is strongest when the fibers are continuous. If you make a part where it needs to be steam bent, needs to flex in use, or needs to be thin it's important to have continuous fibers.

Breaks in wooden furniture parts are most often in areas of 'short grain' or areas where there is a runout in the short grain.
    Thank you Brian! Two more (admittedly) really dumb questions - what do you mean by the terms "short grain" and "runout"? Sorry if they are common terms. I'm trying to make sure I understand. (Edit: I think "short grain" means "end grain" but I dont know if that's correct.)

Thanks again.
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Short grain or run out means when the grain of the wood starts at one end, but "runs out" the side before reaching the other end. That is a point of weakness. You've certainly realized this when you trim off the ends of a table and are amazed at how easily you can snap the cut along its length (which is all 'short grain').

In practical terms, it may not make a difference 90% of the time in the average home.

I do it more for a reason Brian did not mention: Riven pieces are often better looking and easier to work with than ones with run out/short grain. They plane and shape (in general) easier, and the continuity of the grain tends to make absorption of finish and light more even.

Of course green wood rives better than dry. The reason I started this thread is that there are distinct benefits to riving your dry, rough dimensioned wood sometimes vs just taking it to rough to the bandsaw or table saw. (I see the title of the thread was misleading. Changed).

I think it is more efficient for a hand tool worker to saw along the grain and then plane to a line. Riving like this takes slightly more materal because of the irregularities that arise from this method. These irregularities and extra material mean more time planing to achieve a given dimension. Of course there is some considerable skill involved in reading the grain well enough to lay out pieces which align with the grain.

When laying out tapered legs or the like, even more savings of labor can occur with judicious layout. Also the layout can improve the grain direction in the other direction(thickness of the board, by tapering the right direction.

Thank you guys! I appreciate the lesson!
    Fred

Nice work on the desk, Prashun!!! Well done.
    Jerry