Thread: Magnetic Bottle Opener with Wire Inlay

Magnetic Bottle Opener with Wire Inlay

IMG_20181019_080405-02.jpg

This is a piece of black walnut that my grandpa gave me. He had a chunk for a long time from an old tree they used to have. I'm sending this opener back to my grandpa, who raises and races horses, hence the horseshoe that I inlaid using wire. When he gave it to me it still had the bark and everything on it. After I cut this piece off, some small surface checks opened up. I used Starbond medium-thick adhesive in black to fill them. It has three magnets on the back so that it can be stuck to a fridge and still catch caps. I also recessed a keyhole plate into the back in case he wanted to mount it on a wall. The wood was a little wormy, so I left one of the trails on the back for character. I finished it with Arm R Seal. Fun little project and they make great gifts.

Nice job. Grandpa will love it!

Is that a shadow on the front, or is there a difference in how the Arm r Seal soaked in across the face?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Nice job. Grandpa will love it!

Is that a shadow on the front, or is there a difference in how the Arm r Seal soaked in across the face?
    Thanks! That would be my shadow/reflection. I used gloss and didn't realize how hard it would be to get a good picture.