Thread: What is in Krylon

What is in Krylon

What is in Krylon interior/exterior enamel colors and clears that they list them all as interior or exterior (I know its enamel) and that they dry in 10 minutes.

I have always looked for a reasonably priced exterior clear that dries super fast. I think of Krylon as kind of the WD40 of rattle can paint but it dries about 10x faster than rustoleum. Im wondering what the deal is with regards to a solvent based clear that will handle any substrate and be exterior rated.

I hope one of the Mods doesnt get randy and move this to the finishing forum because I am hoping for input from those building exterior painted sign work.

I don’t use it for outdoor wood signs, but if there is a color I need available, use it for laser cut letters, acrylic mostly. Most of the time I have to do a Pantone color match for logos and mix/spray, but sometimes Krylon will work, and it seems to hold up fine outdoors. I used it on my own mailbox, and it’s still like new after about 10 years, without the clear sealer. For bare wood I prefer a slower drying paint so that it can go into the pores before drying.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I don’t use it for outdoor wood signs, but if there is a color I need available, use it for laser cut letters, acrylic mostly. Most of the time I have to do a Pantone color match for logos and mix/spray, but sometimes Krylon will work, and it seems to hold up fine outdoors. I used it on my own mailbox, and it’s still like new after about 10 years, without the clear sealer. For bare wood I prefer a slower drying paint so that it can go into the pores before drying.
    Thanks Joe,
    We have been looking for different options on some low priced commodity type stuff and fast drying was a main goal. Was tempted to play around with some enamels and various reducers or a drier that might push them off faster. While it doesnt build I couldnt imagine anything penetrating more than krylon rattle can spray on wood. If it goes on bare/unsealed wood you can see the bleed go way out into the material. We have used rattle can spray on some carved text that we then fly cut the face back to raw on the CNC and the rattle can stuff will go deep enough into the fibers on the surface to require .040"-.050" to be removed to fully clean it up.

Was just wondering what made the krylon dry so much faster than other enamels like rustoleum and the store brands (probably just the same product re-branded).

Blog Entries
    I’m amazed by that as well, it’s dry very fast. The duplicolor engine enamels I’ve used have been similar in
    that they dry very quickly.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I try Not to buy Rustoleum, Takes forever to dry and then after about a 1/2 can they plug up the nozzle. The clear lacquer they sell is great, but when I want a job done and dried in a reasonable time, its Krylon.
    PS Yes I turn the can upside down to clean and wipe off the excess on the nozzle, it still plugs up or loses pressure.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I try Not to buy Rustoleum, Takes forever to dry
    This used to be the case for sure, but last time I bought some I was surprised to find it dries in minutes. I figure they changed the formula.