Thread: Unisaw buzzing, still works

Unisaw buzzing, still works

Hi,
    My Unisaw recently started making a humming noise every time I plug it in. It still starts and stops just fine, but I’m worried this could be the start of a serious problem. It’s a 1.5hp 110V Rockwell Unisaw (model # 83-621) from the 70’s I think. Any tips on how to troubleshoot the noise? Thanks for your help.

My hunch the hum is coming from the motor controls if you have one on your saw. You might have what's called LVC on the back of saw. There is a transformer in there that might be the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    My hunch the hum is coming from the motor controls if you have one on your saw. You might have what's called LVC on the back of saw. There is a transformer in there that might be the noise.
    Thanks, any advice on how to handle it?

I have a 240V 3HP Unisaw from the 80s with a LVC box on the back. It hums (softly). I ignore it.
    Chuck Taylor

If it does have a LVC controller box, unplug the saw, open the box and blow the insides out with compressed air. Following that, check all of the electrical connections to make sure they're tight, then check any mechanical connections as well. As mentioned upthread the buzz is probably coming from the transformer or the coil on the starter relay. If you clean it out and tighten everything up and it still buzzes, it probably won't be a problem and you can try to ignore it.

I listened closer to the noise and turns out the problem was the switch so just need to replace that. Thanks so much for all your help.

Try blowing it out first in case it’s packed with dust.