Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We dump on CL, but what about eBay?

Simon, links to Amazon and most other websites have always been allowed. Links to auctions are not allowed for the reasons that Jim explained.
    Before this rule came to be we had a number of people joining just to sell items and product.

From the Terms of Service:

3. External Linking

Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    One prominent woodworking forum allows ebay, amazon and whatnot links to be posted directly without restrictions. That site has never been inundated with sales posts. People there always share great Amazon deals or other time-sensitive vendor links...as a public service. You click and get done...instead of: go to Amazon, enter product name or whatever #, find or select a supplier (if there is more than one), blah blah blah. Oh well, only to find that that is not something you want or need to buy! That's why unless it's a direct link, I never bother to waste time.

It is fine to me if you want to ban any sharing of sales, auctions, online selling resources, etc. But you are not actually banning them because you still allow people to access the resources just not through their direct links. As Jim suggested, you use the ebay # to get around it, for example. You are not banning anything... you are just creating inconvenience. That is why I call that rule archaic.

Simon

If you become a Contributor for $6 a year to Sawmillcreek. There is a Deals and Discount forum you can access.
    BTW just sent in my $$$$ yesterday.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    If you become a Contributor for $6 a year to Sawmillcreek. There is a Deals and Discount forum you can access.
    BTW just sent in my $$$$ yesterday.
    The woodworking site I mentioned that allows direct links is free to join.

Simon

So the rule does allow eBay links posted if they are from Buy It Now sellers including Home Depot, etc. which have fixed prices for their products like Amazon?

Simon

Posting links to auction sites makes the post useless in a month or two. Part of the idea of this site is to become a searchable library of woodworking knowledge. Some information from five years ago is still useful today and will remain useful for 100 years or more. Links to auctions not much use after the auction is over. Also those links go dead after a short time.
    This is also the reason for my oft posted rants when folks use a meaningless title which is not searchable. Example might be "help, wood related" will never be found by someone looking for info on adjusting a planer. Or they post a model number with no indication of what it might be. If I am looking for instructions on adjusting a planer a wealth of info may be under "123xyz help needed" but I would never find it.
    I am amazed some folks here know sears tools by model number.
    Bill d

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Posting links to auction sites makes the post useless in a month or two. Part of the idea of this site is to become a searchable library of woodworking knowledge. Some information from five years ago is still useful today and will remain useful for 100 years or more. Links to auctions not much use after the auction is over. Also those links go dead after a short time.
    And you think that's not true of other (allowed) retail links? I suspect that Newegg link in post#2 will be defunct before this threads fizzles out.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post

Bill d
    Bill,

I make no bones about rules per se. When forum rules are there, we all have a choice: to go by the rules which I do where I go, or move to a forum whose rules are acceptable to follow. My point is about rules that may serve good purposes in the old days but have become irrelevant. The other site i mentioned has a Classified section (also free) and I don't see any flooding of ads there.

Back to yours, many amazon, online vendor or product links are useless too after a lapse of time. If the intention is to improve the search capability, search keys rather than clickable links matter. For example, Lumberjocks can be searched by poster, search key, title, etc. You don't even need to be logged on to search its massive database - Google will do it for you.

Simon