Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We dump on CL, but what about eBay?

We dump on CL, but what about eBay?

I want to buy a Ego snowblower. I checked eBay and they are 15% more expensive there than at HD. What the heck? Is anyone really stupid enough to pay more at eBay? If not, why do they bother posting?

Wade Lippman,

I buy and sell some computer stuff on eBah and there is some constant evidence of insanity:

Here's an eBahh auction for an Intel i7-7820X processor:

- Which is for a new one for only $1,092.57

=and here is the same item today new in the box at Newegg;

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-794-_-Product

= $500.

I think there are some people that just assume Ebahhh always has lower prices. There are those who think that every piece of old junk they have is a precious antique. And there are an equal number of people that will just try anything on:

That company lists hundreds of these things at a time and never appears to sell any. That system does have some good stuff in it, but a new $5000 HP workstation would out perform it easily. I have a Quadro P2000 that cost new $430 and that has less memory but is faster in 3D than the K6000 that still cost $900-1000 used.

If something doesn't sell, it can be relisted for less until it does sell.

Life is non-stop buyer beware,..

Alan Caro
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-29-2018 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Removed eBay links. Links to eBay are not allowed in our forums.

Price differences works both ways on eBay. Some stuff are more pricey on eBay and vice versa. A lot of stuff may be more pricey on eBay because free shipping included and people are comparing against cost of item but not considering the cost of shipping or burning gas plus wear/tear on their cars driving 20 miles to the store that has the item cheaper on eBay

As far as I'm concerned, eBay is a gone goose. eBay seems to be trying to be the same as Amazon Marketplace and encouraging sellers to list new things, with free shipping. You see ridiculous prices on Amazon Marketplace, also, but Amazon sorts the items by price so the lowest price appears first. And Amazon really stands behind the products. In many situations, they'll take the product back, even if the seller wouldn't. I assume they just charge the seller for the refund money they gave you, and they'll charge the seller to ship the refunded product back to the seller.

They have a lot of power over the MarketPlace sellers.

On the Amazon Marketplace, what you see is a list of the exact product you were looking at, sorted by price from low to high, not a long list of stuff that's "close" to what you're searching for, and usually sorted by time, not price.

Also, on Amazon, I can use camelcamelcamel.com and get an alert when a MarketPlace seller puts up an item I want at a price I'm willing to pay.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Going to sound harsh here, but $50 or $100 or even $1000 isn't that big of a deal to some people. Like.. if I have enough in the bank and I want a snowblower and just happens to be on eBay, I wouldn't care about HD having the thing on sale for $150 less than eBay. It's similar to buying a bottle of water, you can just fill up an empty bottle but buying a new one at the convenience store isn't a big deal because it's only $1.50. Yet you've never give it a second thought--same for those who buy stuff for higher prices than you can drum up by spending time shopping around. Obviously, there are buyers out there otherwise these sellers wouldn't list the items and the convenient store wouldn't stock $1.50 water.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    Going to sound harsh here, but $50 or $100 or even $1000 isn't that big of a deal to some people. Like.. if I have enough in the bank and I want a snowblower and just happens to be on eBay, I wouldn't care about HD having the thing on sale for $150 less than eBay. It's similar to buying a bottle of water, you can just fill up an empty bottle but buying a new one at the convenience store isn't a big deal because it's only $1.50. Yet you've never give it a second thought--same for those who buy stuff for higher prices than you can drum up by spending time shopping around. Obviously, there are buyers out there otherwise these sellers wouldn't list the items and the convenient store wouldn't stock $1.50 water.
    Sure, some people are too busy and too wealthy to bother comparison shopping; but do those people use snowblowers or shop ebay?

Regarding refunds on ebay....
    I sold some computer memory on ebay for $15. Since memory can be fickle, I said that the buyer was responsible for documenting that it worked his computer before buying, as there were no refunds. Guy bought and it didn't work in his computer. He called it defective and ebay gave his a refund when I refused. Fortunately I had no money in my Paypal account or they would have deducted the refund from it. Needless to say, I no longer have a Paypal or ebay account. It wasn't so much the refund as having to pay for shipping both ways (and then probably getting back an empty box because the memory was in his computer)
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 10-29-2018 at 4:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I want to buy a Ego snowblower. I checked eBay and they are 15% more expensive there than at HD. What the heck? Is anyone really stupid enough to pay more at eBay? If not, why do they bother posting?

A lot of stores will not ship to Alaska. So people buy items at the local brick and mortar, Post for sale on Ebay and make a profit.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Linking to eBay

Folks, Links to eBay or any other auction site are prohibited, you may post the item number and a description if you like but do not provide an active link.

Thanks
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

A buy what is probably a lot from both places, but always price check. Sometimes getting something from Amazon is cheaper, but a quick search on the auction site finds better a good percentage of the time. I'm used to checking CL before my eyes are open good in the morning, and it's my number one source for large tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Sure, some people are too busy and too wealthy to bother comparison shopping; but do those people use snowblowers or shop ebay?

Regarding refunds on ebay....
    I sold some computer memory on ebay for $15. Since memory can be fickle, I said that the buyer was responsible for documenting that it worked his computer before buying, as there were no refunds. Guy bought and it didn't work in his computer. He called it defective and ebay gave his a refund when I refused. Fortunately I had no money in my Paypal account or they would have deducted the refund from it. Needless to say, I no longer have a Paypal or ebay account. It wasn't so much the refund as having to pay for shipping both ways (and then probably getting back an empty box because the memory was in his computer)
    I can sympathize. Maybe 15 years ago or so, I sold something on eBay, the guy got it, signed for the delivery, then reported to Paypal that he never received it. Even though I had signature verification, they still pulled the money right out of my account and gave it back to him. I closed my account and haven't had one since.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I can sympathize. Maybe 15 years ago or so, I sold something on eBay, the guy got it, signed for the delivery, then reported to Paypal that he never received it. Even though I had signature verification, they still pulled the money right out of my account and gave it back to him. I closed my account and haven't had one since.
    I've bought and sold a few things on Ebay and have a Paypal account but the Paypal account is not linked to any bank account. I figure using a credit card I have a better chance in a dispute, dunno if that right or not.

Ok, so my search ability is way off today: How do you get to Amazon Marketplace?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I've bought and sold a few things on Ebay and have a Paypal account but the Paypal account is not linked to any bank account. I figure using a credit card I have a better chance in a dispute, dunno if that right or not.
    This was a very long time ago, you had to manually go in and transfer all money from your Paypal account to your bank account otherwise it just sat there. They took it before I could take it out. Otherwise, I would have told them to pound sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Ok, so my search ability is way off today: How do you get to Amazon Marketplace?

I don't know if there's a place called "Amazon Marketplace". When you go to an item in Amazon you may see a note on that page that says "Used and New from $xxx". If you click on that, you'll go to a page where people are selling the same thing. That's called "Amazon Marketplace". If you buy from one of those sellers, Amazon gets a cut from the seller.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks, Mike.