Thread: Small shop organization

Small shop organization

The more I get into turning, the more I want to upgrade but don’t know if I can with the space that I have to work with. I just have a ”half” garage to work with (see photo). I was thinking of getting a bigger lathe (maybe Laguna 1836) and putting it where my mini jet is but then i don’t know what else I really need. Dust collector? Not sure if I have room. Anything else that is absolutely necessary? Any ideas on space utilization for small shops?
    Thanks, Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson80; 10-29-2018 at 9:07 AM.

If you put the Laguna on castors it can be moved out into the garage when in use.

I use casters on my Nova 1624. Not only do you have more space in the shop but there are other advantages. The shavings and dust are more manageable and sunlight helps with visibility.

Almost all my machines are on casters. I can park them in the corner and roll them out when needed. The only exception is the one heavy floor model lathe. I have some dust collection, but not enough to handle the table saw, so it gets wheeled out side on a covered terrace for use. Had an outdoor receptacle installed just for when I use the machinery out there

I have to store my lathe in a small space in the garage. Casters make moving my lathe a breeze. The casters are actuated by a cam lever so that when I move it into position for turning, they can be retracted for stability.

IMG_3179.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

I don't think a dust collector is a must but if you do use one you can position it outside when in use and just run the duct work to it. If you're in a garage then maybe make some way to pass the duct work through a window or door. Being where you are heat would be an issue in the winter so anything you do also needs to be with not loosing lots of heat. I have a cheap Harbor Freight tool box that has all my "stuff" in it. I put the chucks, sand paper, and the tools I use. I have a try that mounts to the wall with a TV stand that holds 6 gouges/ scrapers/ etc that I use. The tool box has a shelf on one side that has my grinder on it. I can roll it out of the way (just like a lathe on casters) for storage.

For 10 years I had my turning "shop" in one half of a two car garage. This included a Jet 1642 lathe, a bandsaw or two, occasionally a Jet mini lathe, several tall shelf units to store tools and wood storage, plus some flat wood tools including a radial arm saw, router table, planer (some stored on the shelves). I didn't have a DC then so I used a big shop vac and had a Jet air cleaner suspended from the ceiling. It was so tight at the lathe if I had a visitor one of us had to go out before the other could get through.

I think it is important to have some kind of bandsaw.

I built a bigger shop but if I had to I'd use the garage again.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    The more I get into turning, the more I want to upgrade but don’t know if I can with the space that I have to work with. I just have a ”half” garage to work with (see photo). I was thinking of getting a bigger lathe (maybe Laguna 1836) and putting it where my mini jet is but then i don’t know what else I really need. Dust collector? Not sure if I have room. Anything else that is absolutely necessary? Any ideas on space utilization for small shops?
    Thanks, Tom

John K wrote: I built a bigger shop but if I had to I'd use the garage again.

May I ask why?

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely look at the mobile kit for the lathe. There is usually a car in the garage (not shown in the photo) so my space is about 14x4 ft. and doubles as household storage too (painting/gardening tools).

I do have a used band saw but it has a lot of issues and after a bigger lathe, want to get a new (used) one with a riser.

Are there any small but effficient DC systems that could either be mounted to ceiling or stored under a cabinet and just pulled out when needed? I don’t have any experience with DC systems.

thanks,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    John K wrote: I built a bigger shop but if I had to I'd use the garage again.

May I ask why?
    I meant that I'd rather have a tiny garage woodturning shop than no shop at all!

I do hope my new shop outlasts my ability to walk down the hill to it, get through the door, and turn on the lights.
    The new shop is 24x62 and has room for turning, flat wood, welding, machine shop, office - everything I need except a bathroom....

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Will definitely look at the mobile kit for the lathe. There is usually a car in the garage (not shown in the photo) so my space is about 14x4 ft. and doubles as household storage too (painting/gardening tools).

I do have a used band saw but it has a lot of issues and after a bigger lathe, want to get a new (used) one with a riser.

Are there any small but effficient DC systems that could either be mounted to ceiling or stored under a cabinet and just pulled out when needed? I don’t have any experience with DC systems.

thanks,
    Tom
    I started with the harbor freight portable one. It worked well enough for my lathe but i out grew it when i moved my shop to my garage and hard plumbed all my machines. Its on wheels and has a bag put it on a 4 inch flex line and roll it out the garage door when you use it. As long as the wind isnt blowing back into the garage the bag will collect the large particles and the fine dust will stay outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    I started with the harbor freight portable one. It worked well enough for my lathe but i out grew it when i moved my shop to my garage and hard plumbed all my machines. Its on wheels and has a bag put it on a 4 inch flex line and roll it out the garage door when you use it. As long as the wind isnt blowing back into the garage the bag will collect the large particles and the fine dust will stay outside.
    Thanks Chris, I’ll definitely check it out.