Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions sought on floor mounted drill press?

Opinions sought on floor mounted drill press?

About 30 years ago, I bought a 17" Bridgewood Drill Press when they were in business out of their showroom in York, PA.

It has served me well, but lately I've been looking at a replacement. Ideally I'd like one with Variable Speed, either mechanical via a split pulley, or even one with a DC motor. Seems like their are not many higher end drill presses around. Before I do an exhaustive research project online, I thought I would see if there are any standouts the folks here could recommend. I really hate belt changes, which is what makes me want a variable speed type press. 17-20", floor mounted.

Any thoughts?

I love my Nova Voyager, no regrets.
    Paul

I am a big fan of the Voyager. I have always like used in DPs, particularly the PM 1150 and 1200 but the Nova has a lot of what I consider very useful bells and whistles if I was buying another DP tomorrow I would get the Voyager. I also like the huge torque at VERY low speeds.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

+1 for the Nova Voyager. I love mine. Vastly superior to any DP I have ever owned.

I have had my Nova Voyager for over a year and love it. One of the best tools in my shop.

I bought a nice used Clausing 20" for a grand with 2 speed motor and reeves drive, threw on a VFD for $150, and am extremely happy. It has no runout, is a rock at 800 pounds and will last forever. I can get it down to such a low speed with the reeves and the VFD that I can make plugs out of cellular PVC without melting which was important to me.

This is the last one I sold. A Delta 17" with production table 3/4hp 3 phase motor, slo-speed pulley set and Automation Direct VFD. I have restored many of these and they are my favorite. I sold this one for $650. With the 3/4 or 1 hp motor and the slo-speed pulleys, the have plenty of power down to almost zero RPMs.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]IMG_0516a.jpg395682[/ATTACH]IMG_0517a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the last one I sold. A Delta 17" with production table 3/4hp 3 phase motor, slo-speed pulley set and Automation Direct VFD. I have restored many of these and they are my favorite. I sold this one for $650. With the 3/4 or 1 hp motor and the slo-speed pulleys, the have plenty of power down to almost zero RPMs.
    CPeterIMG_0516a.jpgIMG_0517a.jpgIMG_0518a.jpg

How would you recommend setting up the production table for woodworking?

(Op: when I faced this question, choice was between a new nova and a used variable speed. The reeves drive is a bit funny sounding; some folks don’t like so much dependence on electronics in the nova)

Matt

Do a motor swap on your Bridgewood and run a VFD

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    How would you recommend setting up the production table for woodworking?
    Put an auxiliary table on top of it. The general lack of DP's with WWing tables is the reason Woodpeckers, Lee Valley, and so many more make them.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Stay away from the Powermatic, it's pretty mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Put an auxiliary table on top of it. The general lack of DP's with WWing tables is the reason Woodpeckers, Lee Valley, and so many more make them.
    I use a temporary table right now, held in place with F-clamps.
    The clausing production table is pretty big and doesn't have a natural place to bolt/screw the table down... but definitely one of the more minor of life's annoyances.

Matt

I bought a used Clausing 16", cleaned it up, and hooked it up with a VFD. I'm happy with it, but if money were no object I'd be looking at the Nova Voyager based on what I have read.