Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the blastgate company spiral pipe?

the blastgate company spiral pipe?

Anyone use the blastgate company to order pipe? https://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-Connectors.php

Trying to figure out pricing and their 26ga spiral seems not too much more than using snaplock. Not totally sure what the real advantage is to spiral?

I have about 40' to order along with connectors, reduces, etc. 4 machine drops.

Pricing comparison:

7" x 5':
    blastgateco 26ga spiral: $19.38
    kencraft 26ga snaplock: $18.60 + $6.27 connector
    oneida 26ga snaplock:$28.40
    oneida 24ga spiral: $38.60

45 deg elbow:
    blastgateco: $24.87
    kencraft: $29.45
    oneida: $35.29

I'd appreciate any insights. Local HVAC suppliers aren't an option, I called all of them.

I found spiral pipe much easier to cut with a Sawsall than heavy gauge snap lock pipe with tin snips or airplane shears. I probably would not use snap lock pipe again for dust collection if spiral was an option.

I don’t have any product experience with these, but it looks that the Kencraft (and maybe Oneida) are ‘crimp and tuck’ male/female connections so there wouldn’t be a need for the $5 or so connectors required with the spiral design. So for your setup, maybe an extra $50-60 depending on drop count.
    I’ve read the spiral design offers more strength, which may be needed for dust collectors (above 3 hp?) but again, I don’t have first hand knowledge.

I'm not familiar with that vendor, but I will say that if I ever moved my shop, I'd likely go with spiral over snap lock for my duct work because it's a little easier to work with and doesn't (normally) "feature" the whole crimping thing. I'd supplement that with Nordfab type quick disconnects where they would provide utility like they do on my current system at the CNC, the router table and one other overhead port.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone - I'm going to call around once more to local guys as last time I was just looking for snap-lock. There are a lot of Texas spiral pipe manufacturers so it seems like I should be able to get something locally at least for the straight lengths which kill the shipping cost the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm not familiar with that vendor, but I will say that if I ever moved my shop, I'd likely go with spiral over snap lock for my duct work because it's a little easier to work with and doesn't (normally) "feature" the whole crimping thing. I'd supplement that with Nordfab type quick disconnects where they would provide utility like they do on my current system at the CNC, the router table and one other overhead port.
    I've been thinking about having one "utility" drop that would be for multiple tools - do you have the disconnect at the point where the flex hose is connecting to the pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I've been thinking about having one "utility" drop that would be for multiple tools - do you have the disconnect at the point where the flex hose is connecting to the pipe?
    Yes, I do. All three of these particular drops are "overhead" and having the quick disconnect allows me to remove the hose so it's not in the way of something or in the case of the CNC, clean out the hose which sometimes becomes encumbered with material that gets caught on an internal drain wire that grounds the machine to my metal duct work in addition to the drain wire in the hose. For the CNC, I had to go the extra mile with grounding because it's extremely sensitive to static electricity. With the quick disconnect, it takes only a second to open the drop up. For my router table, I don't remove the hose often but having the quick disconnect makes it easy. For the third drop, which is at the other end of the shop, it's unused most of the time, but I can take the router table hose over there and use it to make a temporary connection to something if need be. The quick disconnects are just below the blast gates.
    --

I think you can get spiral in long lengths. Not sure about snap lock.

SnapLock can be had in 5' lengths for sure...most of mine was bought that way.
    --

i purchased spiral pipe and all the fittings from a local manufacturer. Way cheaper than Oneida, plus no shipping charges. My spiral pipe came in 10 foot lengths. that was very nice. I would check locally before ordering on line.

My spiral came in 10' lengths as well. If I'm remembering right, the Blastco fittings were inside to inside and somewhat undersized- perhaps metric ? My favorite fittings were Kenncraft or Oneida and were outside to inside fittings as they should be. Dave

I got mine from Spiral Manufacturing. They make the pipe and fittings themselves so fit was good. Pipe was available in 10' lengths I seem to recall. They are local to me, so I didn't need to worry about shipping. Customer service was excellent; they made up a fitting for me that was out of stock while I waited. It was still warm when I got it Hopefully you have a good local manufacturer nearby.

Well I got one place in town that carries 8" or 6" - they are checking if they can order 7". I'm not thinking I will want to drop down to 6" since my run around the wall is getting pretty long.

Rough idea of what I'm trying to do, blue=7", orange=6"

May I ask what they want per foot for the 8" and 6" pipe and what DC are you running your duct from?
    Thanks.