Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the blastgate company spiral pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    May I ask what they want per foot for the 8" and 6" pipe and what DC are you running your duct from?
    Thanks.
    I actually didn't get a price yet, they are calling me back on the 7". Online its about $17 for a 5 foot 6" and $21 for a 5 foot 8". Wasn't planning on spending more than ~$4-5 per linear foot.

Dust Collector is 3HP Oneida V-3000.

My pricing estimate for 26ga snaplock is ~$800, spiral at ~$900. $250-$300 for shipping on either one.

Oneida is coming out about the same as theblastgateco.com - their shipping costs are basically built in to their pricing, they are within $40 all-in.

Also the shop inside wall dimensions are ~18.5x26.5
    Last edited by Thomas Crawford; 10-30-2018 at 2:54 PM.

I'd be delighted with those costs. They started at $6 a foot for 6" and $10 a foot for 8" here. PVC even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    Anyone use the blastgate company to order pipe? https://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-Connectors.php

Trying to figure out pricing and their 26ga spiral seems not too much more than using snaplock. Not totally sure what the real advantage is to spiral?

I have about 40' to order along with connectors, reduces, etc. 4 machine drops.

Pricing comparison:

7" x 5':
    blastgateco 26ga spiral: $19.38
    kencraft 26ga snaplock: $18.60 + $6.27 connector
    oneida 26ga snaplock:$28.40
    oneida 24ga spiral: $38.60

45 deg elbow:
    blastgateco: $24.87
    kencraft: $29.45
    oneida: $35.29

I'd appreciate any insights. Local HVAC suppliers aren't an option, I called all of them.
    Long time customer of Blastgate Co. and have purchased a lot of spiral pipe and fittings from them, always been pleased with the service and product. I'd just rather order everything from one vendor than chase down several different ones.

Kencraft is fine too, they just don't always have what I'm looking for.

Give Blastgate Co a call. When I was assembling my system about 10 years ago they had 26 gauge snaplock pipe and fittings. Much cheaper than anywhere else I could find. I ended up driving a few hours to pick it up because I had a day off and it was a rare sunny winter day in Michigan. I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful they were and how much money I saved. Maybe they don’t have the snaplock anymore but if they do and put it online they would probably sell a lot more product.

I’d much rather email and order with no people interaction but sometimes calling is needed.

My local place came back and said they can get 7" for me. They should be able to fabricate all the connectors as well although I think some of it will be snap-lock. Shouldn't be any issue using snap-lock with spiral, correct?

Looks like you will have a very nice setup. You will need couplers with spiral, whereas snaplock uses a crimped end. I bought a hand crimper to put crimps where necessary, but most of my system is spiral, with a few snaplock fittings purchased at Ace hardware, as they stock 26 gauge fittings. Used a jig saw to cut my spiral pipe to length, after starting the cut with a hacksaw. Also made a couple fittings by hand where I could not find a proper fitting.

There should be no major reason that adapting SnapLock and spiral to work together will be an issue, but please be aware of air flow direction. SnapLock has crimped ends and they need to be facing the correct way so that material doesn't get stuck in the protrusions. SnapLock isn't going to be quite as smooth inside for the same reason. HVAC wyes, for example are "backwards" for DC use because the air flow is the exact opposite direction from the normal use of these fittings. I recommend you try and obtain DC oriented wyes for that reason, despite the fact that they do cost a bit more.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My local place came back and said they can get 7" for me. They should be able to fabricate all the connectors as well although I think some of it will be snap-lock. Shouldn't be any issue using snap-lock with spiral, correct?
    How would the fittings be snap lock? The ones meant to be used with spiral are usually fabricated with stamped parts and tig welded together so they're air tight.

I mixed snapback and spiral. About half and half. Mostly its worrying about getting the male/female parts of the fittings to work. Sometimes they end up needing to go the wrong way, so you have to be careful about how much restriction that causes. On 7 inch, it probably isn't a big deal, you are mostly moving air, not a lot of solids.

Taping the joints with that aluminum HVAC tape (not duct tape, it falls off in a year or two leaving a gross adhesive residue that is hard to remove) on the snap lock seams and elbows helps, not so much with air loss, but the annoying whistling sound they make.

Confirmed with my local supplier they can do everything in spiral and pressed fittings. Now to finish the actual plan so I can give them a parts list. At least with a local guy it removes some of the pressure of the high shipping costs.

Well I ended up with a mix and match system from blastgateco and my local place, saved a lot of money. The 7" pipe and wyes from blastgate all fit together fine. Unfortunately the lateral wyes and elbows from blastgateco are exactly the same size as the 6" spiral pipe I bought locally, so I guess I'll need to get a crimper.

I was under the impression spiral just all fit together nicely but appears not to be the case if its not all from the same place.

Couplings?

...the lateral wyes and elbows from blastgateco are exactly the same size as the 6" spiral pipe I bought locally, so I guess I'll need to get a crimper.

I was under the impression spiral just all fit together nicely but appears not to be the case if its not all from the same place.

Couplings?
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Couplings?
    Cheaper to crimp at this point, too many connection points.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I found spiral pipe much easier to cut with a Sawsall than heavy gauge snap lock pipe with tin snips or airplane shears. I probably would not use snap lock pipe again for dust collection if spiral was an option.
    I keep meaning to pick up a ferrous blade for a circular saw and try that. I feel like it's go through like greased lightning and be easy to make a straight cut